The Tortoise & the Hare....true story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I had planted the outdoor tortoise habitat with new seeds in hopes to get some strong plants going before hibernation would be over with. I was watering one evening, when the ground started screaming (like a new kitten). I was shocked! I wasn't sure where it was coming from, I know my tortoises and turtles do not make that sound. I called hubby out and we began to investigate. Sure enough, a wild cottontail had her babies in the habitat and had covered the hole (I assume to keep her babies safe). Weeks went by and the babies never left. Our Desert Tortoise woke from hibernation to find new roomies in the pen. He was very curious and checked them out. Pretty crazy to watch. Finally, the baby bunnies moved out of the pen once they were weaned and strong enough to get over the fencing. Sooooo, we lived the true story of the Tortoise and the Hare.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
With Jacqui on that.

101_2507.JPG

My recently sold little Aldabra had alerted me to a nest of bunnies. She looked at the nest, back at me, back at the nest, back at me, and so on several times with her neck stretched all the way out. Then circled the pole and nestled down. I looked in the pocket and saw the babies.

101_2504.JPG

I was going to check on them the next day, but the other tortoises had found them and had consumed / were consuming them. Another nest was laid in a pocket of my outdoor baby & juvenile enclosure a bit later on. Those babies survived and even cuddled against the tortoises beneath the overhangs of the tussocks before they grew large enough to leave the safety the enclosure provides from hawks, my dogs, and my larger tortoises.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Wait, tortoises eat baby bunnies??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Pokeymeg said:
Wait, tortoises eat baby bunnies??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

My tortoise just seemed confused and curious about the bunnies. Never nipped or tried to eat them (at least not when I was watching and I watched them alot).
DSC_0425.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Sorry the pic I posted on my original post was the wrong one. Darn Newbie to this forum! LOL

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Mine do.

My tortoises which do so are usually a great deal bigger, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.