The new outside pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeside, California
I just got their outside pen ready it was so easy, before I had to chase them in different direction in the yard. Here are a few pictures of it. Also a bath time pic I call them my dirty mouth crew....enjoy

Different angle

Dirty mouth crew

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 86

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Let me start with I never ever ever leave them alone at all ever... But the shepherd is so funny he thinks they are his babies. When I carry them outside he won't stop bugging me until I put them down and he sniffs them to make sure I did not hurt them. Stays in the enclosure the whole time checking on them if one hides in the plant he freaks out and looks around the yard untill i show him where it is. And when Lenord turned himself over Koda went and nosed him over. The tortoise's stick out their heads for him to smell them. Then he has to walk me back inside and see them into their cage. Only then does he relax. Oh and he can open the front door so there is no leaving him inside when the babies are out.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Yeah watch the dog, he might chew on them, it's too common to risk it.
If you have raccoon's in your area, at night they would eat your tortoises like Big Macs, foxes and coyotes too, so you will need a wire mesh on top and on the sides under the ground 12".
Give some hides so your tortoises can escape the suns heat, then I am sure your tortoises will be happy to be outside.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Outdoor pens always seem to be a work-in-process. This is a good start. You may want to cover the corners. Eventually they will try to climb out right there.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Thanks everyone. They are only outside for a little while each day and I sit with them the whole time. But I am going to cover it so I can do some gardening while they are out there. Eventually they will have the whole area to roam in, about 1/2 acre, but they are only 5 months so we have awhile. Going to start their pen this summer and may have it done in time. :)
We have two Rat Terriers so I totally understand about never ever trusting a dog. One is just salivating over them so he gets locked inside when they are out. He has murdered before, my poor daughters mouse.
Did not know I needed to bury wire mesh under the ground all the way around the pen. Newbie here why do you bury it?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
L82lalaland said:
Did not know I needed to bury wire mesh under the ground all the way around the pen. Newbie here why do you bury it?

I think this is necessary in some areas of the country and with certain species of tortoise. It is used to keep unwanted criters from getting into the pen and keeps the tortoise from burrowing out. I have never done this because I don't have gophers in my yard and, so far, my sulcata has not tried to burrow out.

Status
Not open for further replies.