The Mighty Odin's first outdoor habitat/playpen

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
A rather wonderful enclosure for the splendid Mighty Odin.
Be careful though; Acer, the maple has leaves high in sugar which should be picked up if they land in the enclosure. A little is ok but -
As the leaves dry out they become more toxic and can be dangerous. Red maple s pretty dangerous anyway.
Regarding radish, the root is too high in glusinolates and carbohydrates, though the leaves are ok in moderation, they too contain glusinolates which muck up thyroid function and can lead to liver and kidney damage.
Strawberry contains tannins and older leaves become poisonous, young leaves ok in moderation.
Sorry, but you did say criticism was ok!
It sure is! Bring it on!
I read about the maples and it is something I will be watching for. If I had another large shade tree in the yard I would prefer to move the playpen, but for now I am working with what i've got.
I chose the radish mainly because it is so quick to sprout, also the fresh sprouts are one of his favorites! I have never seen him let one get large enough to grow a root, he always munches them down to a nub as soon as they get a leaf or two, (sometimes sooner!) and I always make sure that, percentage-wise, they are minimal. Like 5 seeds for every 50 grass, clover etc. I do the same with spinach and chard on occasion
I was on the fence about the addition of the strawberry plant, but I figured one plant among all the other plants that will be going in would be okay.
I do think it's a lovely place to look at and Odin is beautiful.
Thank you, thank you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It sure is! Bring it on!
I read about the maples and it is something I will be watching for. If I had another large shade tree in the yard I would prefer to move the playpen, but for now I am working with what i've got.
I chose the radish mainly because it is so quick to sprout, also the fresh sprouts are one of his favorites! I have never seen him let one get large enough to grow a root, he always munches them down to a nub as soon as they get a leaf or two, (sometimes sooner!) and I always make sure that, percentage-wise, they are minimal. Like 5 seeds for every 50 grass, clover etc. I do the same with spinach and chard on occasion
I was on the fence about the addition of the strawberry plant, but I figured one plant among all the other plants that will be going in would be okay.

Thank you, thank you!
Good, you seem to know what you're doing, have it all under control.
Just thought I'd mention it.
The nice mixed diet is good.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Good, you seem to know what you're doing, have it all under control.
Just thought I'd mention it.
The nice mixed diet is good.
I don't know about that, but i'm trying!
I currently have at least 15-20 types of seeds; grasses, dandelions, clovers and a handful of veggies that I mix up to keep it interesting, along with all the plants. I have been a busy indoor gardener this year!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Took Odin out to the playpen for a bit and he had a blast roaming around and munching dandelions....003.JPG 008.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

Until he found a piece of dried bird poop which he of course immediately bit into, so I took it away and he gave me this look:017.JPG

And promptly walked over into his burrow to sulk.020.JPG

Such a grump!021.JPG

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
We have had a miserable rainy cold snap for the last week or so, so Odin hasn't been outside. Today was not only pretty nice, but I got off work early and had a chance to do some of the planting I have been waiting to do!
Added a couple of hostas in the enclosure, and behind and partially around it added a few raspberry bush seedlings and seeds for pumpkin, squash, cucumber, watermelon, kale and arugula. Waiting on a big bag of clover seed to fill in all around those when they start coming up, which should be here tomorrow. I was plesed to see that the plants I got in before are still holding strong! I also picked up a couple more edging pieces to expand around the new seedlings when they are big enough to handle his stompy biting patrol!
He was so happy that we had so many new dandelion flowers since the last time he was out. He polished off at least half of them. And every time he came across a radish seedling it was chomped. Going to have to sprinkle a few more!074.JPG 017.JPG 021.JPG 027.JPG 031.JPG 033.JPG 035.JPG 055.JPG 056.JPG 057.JPG 071.JPG

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
We have had a miserable rainy cold snap for the last week or so, so Odin hasn't been outside. Today was not only pretty nice, but I got off work early and had a chance to do some of the planting I have been waiting to do!
Aren't those just the best days, getting to spend time outdoors with the tortoise and do some gardening? :D

I think my Russian only ate a bit of hosta once but never tried it again. We had have some rainy and colder days recently as well so I'm super excited for Saturday when I can get my plants in and take my little Stevie outside too! I'm amazed your garden is already looking livelier than mine since you're in zone 4 and I'm in 6. You must have quite the green thumb!! :D Are you planning on getting some flowers too? Absolutely adorable photos!!! Odin looks so happy and excited!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Aren't those just the best days, getting to spend time outdoors with the tortoise and do some gardening? :D
Heck yes, they are! Unfortunately today is not one of those days. Miserable and rainy AGAIN.:mad:

Are you planning on getting some flowers too? Absolutely adorable photos!!! Odin looks so happy and excited!
I sure am! I already have one mini rose bush out there, and I have another yet to plant plus I have zinnias, petunias, geraniums, grape vines, hibiscus and several herbs and grasses that I have yet to plant or wait to sprout. My dining room has been packed with planting trays for months, and now my deck is being overrun because I started more out there! I am absolutely giddy waiting for a good day to get it all done! I hate this picking away a little at a time.

And the pic of him smiling, that's the look he gets every time he plucks a barely there radish seedling.:rolleyes:

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I spend a ton of time thinking about Tuleo's (Sulcata) big oasis we will be creating when we move (we are moving out of state, no idea where yet) and have wondered about building a wood shed type structure with greenhouse attached. I wonder how this would work if you were in a cold environment? We might move to Colorado and I don't know if that would be a good call or not. That way (in theory) Tuleo could sun when it was warmer and I could grow his goodness in it as well...

Hmmmmm....

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I sure am! I already have one mini rose bush out there, and I have another yet to plant plus I have zinnias, petunias, geraniums, grape vines, hibiscus and several herbs and grasses that I have yet to plant or wait to sprout. My dining room has been packed with planting trays for months, and now my deck is being overrun because I started more out there! I am absolutely giddy waiting for a good day to get it all done! I hate this picking away a little at a time.
Very cool! That's what I should have done -- grown them inside before moving them out to the garden. Oh well, only one more day and a half till I get my little plugs! :<3:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I spend a ton of time thinking about Tuleo's (Sulcata) big oasis we will be creating when we move (we are moving out of state, no idea where yet) and have wondered about building a wood shed type structure with greenhouse attached. I wonder how this would work if you were in a cold environment? We might move to Colorado and I don't know if that would be a good call or not. That way (in theory) Tuleo could sun when it was warmer and I could grow his goodness in it as well... Hmmmmm....
You may be the first one to experiment, and then other tortoise owners who move to Colorado will have your hard work to help them along! :)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Very cool! That's what I should have done -- grown them inside before moving them out to the garden. Oh well, only one more day and a half till I get my little plugs! :<3:

I may have went a little overboard, but in the end I think I will be glad I did.....I hope.

I spend a ton of time thinking about Tuleo's (Sulcata) big oasis we will be creating when we move (we are moving out of state, no idea where yet) and have wondered about building a wood shed type structure with greenhouse attached.

We have been thinking along the same line, but I don't know if we will go that route at our house simply because I don't know how long Odin and my son will be living with us. Heck, he and the boy may move out before Odin is even old enough to be outside the majority of the year (he graduates HS next month) On the other hand, I would really LOVE a greenhouse......Hmmm indeed......

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I may have went a little overboard, but in the end I think I will be glad I did.....I hope.

We have been thinking along the same line, but I don't know if we will go that route at our house simply because I don't know how long Odin and my son will be living with us. Heck, he and the boy may move out before Odin is even old enough to be outside the majority of the year (he graduates HS next month) On the other hand, I would really LOVE a greenhouse......Hmmm indeed......

I think you should hold Odin hostage because you obviously love him so much!! Buy him another tort for graduation;) Really where is a 18 yr old going to keep a sulcata?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY TO ODIN!!!!!!

Okay, we don't know his exact hatch date, but we were told it was mid-may and my son decided it was the 15th (literal much?)
SO! To celebrate I came home and powered out as much planting as I could after work while Odin proceeded to trample and munch as much as he possibly could.

First, it was the mustard. He tasted every single one and knocked over a couple.001.JPG 002.JPG

Then I expanded the border around the mini rose bush that I bought several months ago and planted a couple weeks ago. So he bit the heck out of it.003.JPG

Then I started randomly dropping in petunias and zinnias and mint and oregano, along with some cucumber and watermelon seddlings I started a few weeks back. One of the cucs is already gone.......004.JPG

The thing I am loving about tort gardening is that I don't really have to til up anything! I am just digging holes and slopping good dirt on top of the grass! I WANT the grass and weeds to poke it's way through! I threw in one more strawberry plant, the other mini rose bush...006.JPG

I also took out one of my geranium from the big pot and dropped it in. I also heavily seeded all of the dirt with clover seed along with a sprinkling of swiss chard, marigold and a spring lettuce mix.007.JPG

Poor mustard. :(009.JPG

It's 6:30 in this pic, which means it's about bed time for our sweet (grumpy) little dude. (I wish my kids had gone to bed this easily!)013.JPG

So a parting shot of his newly expanded playpen from the deck014.JPG

And a very muddy, and sleepy, bath to top off the day. 016.JPG

I don't know which one of us is more exhausted, but we are both very pleased. :)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I think you should hold Odin hostage because you obviously love him so much!! Buy him another tort for graduation;) Really where is a 18 yr old going to keep a sulcata?
That has been the threat since day one, and I have repeatedly (some would say nagging-ly) offered to keep Odin until he could afford a place that could house him.
He is going to a community college in the area, so that's a plus, but he has been taking college courses all year so he is only looking at about 6 months of school. :(
No matter what happens I will offer free baby sitting forever!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
We had a couple of hours where there was some sun, so we took Odin out and got some more planting done!002.JPG

I dug out his burrow a bit more for a little more head/shell room003.JPG

While he tasted and trampled everything...again004.JPG

I dropped in the nasturtiums which have never done well in the house (I am hoping for better luck outside) and he tasted it repeatedly...012.JPG 013.JPG 015.JPG

He bit the zinnias a few times016.JPG

And decided that the best path through the roses is right through the middle. Of course?018.JPG

A couple shots of my son (Odin's Dad) being pleased with his BFF023.JPG 024.JPG

And the Mighty Odin finally checking out his more spacious hide.034.JPG 035.JPG 037.JPG

Yes. This will work039.JPG

But I could have done better. HMPH!

041.JPG 043.JPG 045.JPG

We turned on the sprinkler and he gave zero f***s060.JPG 061.JPG 062.JPG

We also dropped in the cilantro I had in pots that had gone to flower, along with MORE seeds! (I am out of control!) violas, more zinnia, lavender, chamomile, and nasturtium seeds069.JPG 070.JPG

And he continued to muck through the mud biting EVERYTHING076.JPG 098.JPG 107.JPG

We also got the grape vines and the rest of the strawberry plants in outside of the enclosure. Good day, but now the weather is turning again and storms are coming. Odin is so tired that it doesn't matter, he had his bath and is going to bed early.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
We had a couple of hours where there was some sun, so we took Odin out and got some more planting done!View attachment 130157

I dug out his burrow a bit more for a little more head/shell roomView attachment 130158

While he tasted and trampled everything...againView attachment 130159

I dropped in the nasturtiums which have never done well in the house (I am hoping for better luck outside) and he tasted it repeatedly...View attachment 130160 View attachment 130161 View attachment 130162

He bit the zinnias a few timesView attachment 130163

And decided that the best path through the roses is right through the middle. Of course?View attachment 130164

A couple shots of my son (Odin's Dad) being pleased with his BFFView attachment 130165 View attachment 130166

And the Mighty Odin finally checking out his more spacious hide.View attachment 130167 View attachment 130168 View attachment 130169

Yes. This will workView attachment 130170

But I could have done better. HMPH!

View attachment 130171 View attachment 130172 View attachment 130173

We turned on the sprinkler and he gave zero f***sView attachment 130174 View attachment 130175 View attachment 130176

We also dropped in the cilantro I had in pots that had gone to flower, along with MORE seeds! (I am out of control!) violas, more zinnia, lavender, chamomile, and nasturtium seedsView attachment 130177 View attachment 130178

And he continued to muck through the mud biting EVERYTHINGView attachment 130179 View attachment 130180 View attachment 130181

We also got the grape vines and the rest of the strawberry plants in outside of the enclosure. Good day, but now the weather is turning again and storms are coming. Odin is so tired that it doesn't matter, he had his bath and is going to bed early.
Just read all your thread. Love it, criticism is a good tool if used correctly. I'm the same, take it on the chin and improve. Quality. Thick skinned. Maybe you will come back as an armadillo. lol Enjoyed reading this. 5*.