New Ornata

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
So while I was feeding the box turtles at Y's I noticed one who had closed eyes and it was still in the same spot for a couple of days. So I brought it in to Y and she said it was a rescue and hadn't eaten for a while. So I soaked it and set it up in one of her enclosed thingys. I noticed her trying to move her leg to rub her eye in the carrot water, but she was just too weak. So it's a week and a half I've been home. She turned up her nose at every thing I offered. Then...ta da!!! I've never met a turtle who could resist super worms. Yep. Today she eats berries and live stuff. She is moving around and acting more normal. Oh she was chewed by a dog...
100_5250.JPG
100_5241.JPG

Also, Grumpyface finally ate worms. Teeny tiny meal worms. He hadn't eaten at all, then I got the heat more regulated, and with the carrot soaks he started eating today.
100_5156.JPG

zovick

10 Year Member!
So while I was feeding the box turtles at Y's I noticed one who had closed eyes and it was still in the same spot for a couple of days. So I brought it in to Y and she said it was a rescue and hadn't eaten for a while. So I soaked it and set it up in one of her enclosed thingys. I noticed her trying to move her leg to rub her eye in the carrot water, but she was just too weak. So it's a week and a half I've been home. She turned up her nose at every thing I offered. Then...ta da!!! I've never met a turtle who could resist super worms. Yep. Today she eats berries and live stuff. She is moving around and acting more normal. Oh she was chewed by a dog...
View attachment 308912
View attachment 308916

Also, Grumpyface finally ate worms. Teeny tiny meal worms. He hadn't eaten at all, then I got the heat more regulated, and with the carrot soaks he started eating today.
View attachment 308918
Good news on both counts!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good news on both counts!
That is why when I offer advice on chelonia not eating, I always say, don't give up. Keep up the carrot soaks. You keep it up until they either eat or die. You might learn how to gavage, nowadays it's done using a stainless steel tube, not bendable, but fixed, and it is so freakin easy using that instrument, it puts whatever right into the stomach and it's not traumatic. I use a product called Critical Care and ya mix it with water, zip zap done. Anyway, I guess that's not something you'd learn if you only had 1 tortoise.
Sometimes you win, and it feels so good

zovick

10 Year Member!
That is why when I offer advice on chelonia not eating, I always say, don't give up. Keep up the carrot soaks. You keep it up until they either eat or die. You might learn how to gavage, nowadays it's done using a stainless steel tube, not bendable, but fixed, and it is so freakin easy using that instrument, it puts whatever right into the stomach and it's not traumatic. I use a product called Critical Care and ya mix it with water, zip zap done. Anyway, I guess that's not something you'd learn if you only had 1 tortoise.
Sometimes you win, and it feels so good
Yes, that is so true! Keep up the good work.

Zoeclare

Uk
This is so lovely, those little sweeties are in the best hands!