The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise

Kmomzee

Location (City and/or State)
Acworth, GA
Yeah, it said it didn’t post and then I didn’t know how to delete one. I’ll have to post later. Thanks for letting me know.

Vampire1330

Singapore
I brought my tortoise to the vet and they gave me this medicine called Enrofloxacin.
After the first injection, many bubbles started coming out from my tortoise mouth and it became extremely tired. It did not move and It just lied there with its eyes closed.

Today is the fourth day I had gave them the injection. No more bubbles coming out from its mouth but it just lied there with its eyes closed immediately after the injection. Can someone advise me if this is what happens after the injection?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I brought my tortoise to the vet and they gave me this medicine called Enrofloxacin.
After the first injection, many bubbles started coming out from my tortoise mouth and it became extremely tired. It did not move and It just lied there with its eyes closed.

Today is the fourth day I had gave them the injection. No more bubbles coming out from its mouth but it just lied there with its eyes closed immediately after the injection. Can someone advise me if this is what happens after the injection?
It takes a while for the antibiotic to work, and often even longer before the symptoms fully subside. Continue with the injections and be sure it's being kept warm enough. So sorry it's going thru this. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Enroflaxin is Baytril. It is very basic. Basic as in the chemical sense, opposite of acid. It burns their flesh at the injection site like bleach and causes extreme pain and terrible tissue damage. Patches of skin often slough off weeks after an injection. It should not be used as an injectable for this reason. It is fine orally. If an injectable is needed, use Fortaz.

Also, antibiotics only treat the symptoms. If the CAUSE of the problem is not discovered and corrected, treating the symptoms will be futile.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Enroflaxin is Baytril. It is very basic. Basic as in the chemical sense, opposite of acid. It burns their flesh at the injection site like bleach and causes extreme pain and terrible tissue damage. Patches of skin often slough off weeks after an injection. It should not be used as an injectable for this reason. It is fine orally. If an injectable is needed, use Fortaz.

Also, antibiotics only treat the symptoms. If the CAUSE of the problem is not discovered and corrected, treating the symptoms will be futile.
I've never heard that about Baytril. If that's the case, why do they continue to prescribe it? Seems like a commonly prescribed antibiotic.

Vampire1330

Singapore

Yes this medicine is supposed to be given oral but my tortoises are too small to force them open their mouth. I went back a second time to the vet to purchase the injection method.

I could see my tortoise in pain after the injection. It just lied there with its head out, eyes closed and couldn’t move. Today is the 5th injection of 21. I am worried. Should I stop the injections when I see their noses no longer have bubbles or wet?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never heard that about Baytril. If that's the case, why do they continue to prescribe it? Seems like a commonly prescribed antibiotic.
For the same reason vet shoot Vitamin A into tortoises. They don't know better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes this medicine is supposed to be given oral but my tortoises are too small to force them open their mouth. I went back a second time to the vet to purchase the injection method.

I could see my tortoise in pain after the injection. It just lied there with its head out, eyes closed and couldn’t move. Today is the 5th injection of 21. I am worried. Should I stop the injections when I see their noses no longer have bubbles or wet?
Its easier to force the mouth open on a smaller tortoise, but that shouldn't be necessary in any case. Just feed it to them on some food. If you need an injectable, use something else.

Vampire1330

Singapore
Its easier to force the mouth open on a smaller tortoise, but that shouldn't be necessary in any case. Just feed it to them on some food. If you need an injectable, use something else.
I started by adding the medicine to their mazuri pallet.
They smelled it and avoided the food.
i had no choice but to use injection.

Vampire1330

Singapore
IMG_3285.jpegI decided to stop injecting them with the Enrofloxacin. They look alright to me. No more wet or bubble nose.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
As bad as you think the Enrofloxacin is, it's nothing compared to keeping them together. They will continue to go downhill as long as they are kept together. Pairs in the Tortoise world id DEADLY. There are more examples than you could read about this subject here on the forum. Alot of tortoise issues CAN only be fixed with changes in environment and enclosure NOT drugs (even antibiotics), as Tom has already mentioned above.......Just a couple tweeks to your enclosure and you'll have a couple happy tortoises. Good Luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Right now they are still small.
yes I know they need to be separated or I will add one more in.
Their size has nothing to do with this. This is true of hatchings. Its part of the reason they are sick and why you are having trouble curing the sickness.