Texas torts and temps

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Quick questions on tx torts. Do they hibernate? And what are the low temps they can withstand? I'm in so. Ca area so our temps are fairly warm all year round. Lows on the 50s sometimes 40s and highs are 60s-70s sometimes hotter.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yes they hibernate. But not for long. Nights can get in the 30s but then they can be out and about during the day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I treat them the same as DTs, but I house the little one's with more attention to humidity since they tend to pyramid pretty readily in captivity. I've always hibernated them, but not outdoors. I do it safely inside in controlled conditions.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Thanks guys, I figure they did hibernate going by there natural range. The weather rarely gets below 45 here. My friend actually is keeping the tortoise I'm just asking questions and kind of helping her out. She has the tortoise outside tho, good enclosure with burrows for the tortoise to hide in. The tort is slowing down a lot and maybe will come out few times a week roam then back to the burrow. Should I tell her to bring the tort on during the cold nights? From what I seen the tortoise looks heathy and alert just slowed down activity wise

Kyle

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks guys, I figure they did hibernate going by there natural range. The weather rarely gets below 45 here. My friend actually is keeping the tortoise I'm just asking questions and kind of helping her out. She has the tortoise outside tho, good enclosure with burrows for the tortoise to hide in. The tort is slowing down a lot and maybe will come out few times a week roam then back to the burrow. Should I tell her to bring the tort on during the cold nights? From what I seen the tortoise looks heathy and alert just slowed down activity wise

Kyle
I have very little experience in hibernating torts. But I do know 45 is just fine for him outside, he will likely come out when or if it warms up to 70s. It's pretty typical of south Texas to have very similar weather to you. I'd leave them outside as long as it doesn't get wet during the winter or near him,

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I have very little experience in hibernating torts. But I do know 45 is just fine for him outside, he will likely come out when or if it warms up to 70s. It's pretty typical of south Texas to have very similar weather to you. I'd leave them outside as long as it doesn't get wet during the winter or near him,

Thanks for the input. I keep a eye on wester in south Texas and it seems to e about same as here in so. California. It actually seems to get cooler in the winter in Texas. Right now our lows are in the 50s so shouldn't worry. We have had rain a few times, but the burrows she stays in stay dry and the enclosure usually will be fairly dried the next day since we are in a drought. I think my friends going to end up giving me the tortoise, soon as the cute factor and work into tortoise factor kicks on. Haha but I'm learning a lot just helping her so guess it's all good

Kyle