Texas Flood

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
It rained a little yesterday morning and I had just planted some seeds in the tortoise pen so I was thinking how nice it was. By the time I got off work it had stopped. But then by dinner time it started to rain some more.
And this rain was not a normal rain, it was a nonstop, get your boat ready downpour.
I went outside to check on the torts, they have dry cover and a little rain never hurt but this rain...was unusual and was just too much.
Good thing I checked on them...the water in my backyard was rising fast and the torts probably had less than 15 minutes before they were no longer safe.

Luckily we had Rubbermaid totes but they were outside and empty. We scrambled in the rain to gather the torts to safety and get them inside. We threw some old t-shirts into the totes for substrate...lol. We were so not ready for this!

It rained all night and into the morning over 9 inches they say.
You can't even tell by looking at my backyard now, everything is wet but otherwise normal.
I went shopping this morning and purchased some fresh timothy hay to put in their hide spots since the dirt is still wet I wanted them to have some dry spots to lay.
I was going to keep them in the totes but I could tell they were not happy in there, maybe my shirts were stinky.
They were happy to be back outdoors.
I guess what I learned from all this is to be prepared for anything... because you just never know, one day it may flood in Texas!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess all your seeds floated away. :p

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh wow. Thank goodness you were kinda sorta ready with the totes being available. Phew! Great warning for others.
Tortoise Scout motto: Be prepared! (Thanks Boy Scouts). : )

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That was a close call ! I have a shed and my garage set up for winter so if a flood comes to my house .I got this!!!! Ha ha
Ps..... I live in Texas to .

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
That rain in Austin was crazy nuts-oid. It was like someone dumped all the rain in the sky all at once, vaboom. I miss my possible earthquakes in California. This rain is too wet for me. Home this weekend. No place like shakey breaky So Cal, LOL. Glad you and your torties are okay SpdTrtl. Some people got hit with those flash floods. Sad. All their family pics and things washed away. : (

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Yes that was a strange storm. I was awaken at 5 a.m Wednesday morning to horrific lightening and constant downpour. Mad dash to get all the big tortoises inside. My YF was out if the shelter and acting like a rain goddess. I brought her her and Bud in because of the lightening. My box turtles were just walking around enjoying the rain and the high humidity. They got to stay outside. No dangers of flooding for them and no chance of lightening strikes. Everything was fine by Thursday morning so back out everyone went. At least our lakes and reservoirs are full

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Yvonne G said:
I guess all your seeds floated away. :p

All my dandelion seeds are in the neighbors yards now...I am sure they will thank me later. :D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow. Sounds scary. Glad you and your torts are safe.

This post made me wonder if anybody out there keeps emergency kits for their torts -- Rubbermaids, extra bag of substrate, that sort of thing. I especially wonder what folks who use lights do when the power goes out.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
DixieParadise said:
Yes that was a strange storm. I was awaken at 5 a.m Wednesday morning to horrific lightening and constant downpour. Mad dash to get all the big tortoises inside. My YF was out if the shelter and acting like a rain goddess. I brought her her and Bud in because of the lightening. My box turtles were just walking around enjoying the rain and the high humidity. They got to stay outside. No dangers of flooding for them and no chance of lightening strikes. Everything was fine by Thursday morning so back out everyone went. At least our lakes and reservoirs are full

Yes, and maybe we will be allowed to water our lawns again...lol