Test UVB output

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
Do any of you guys have a device that test how much UVB your bulbs are putting out? If not what is the rule of thumb when it comes time to replace the different types of bulbs. For example I use a mercury vapor bulb, when should I replace it?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Usually, 12 months is given as a rough guide for mvb. If you're using uvb lamps regularly, buying a meter is probably worth it. I've seen lamps last much longer than a year. On the flipside, I've seen lamps that produced much less uvb than expected straight out of the box.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are a couple members that have the meters. They post quite a while back, like a year or more, but I haven't seen an update to know what they might have figured out. I was always told, Flourescent bulbs, change at 6 months, the MVB at one year. If you can get them outside and not use the bulbs for a few months, then you might get a little more time out of them. Also, if you get them outside, it won't hurt them if your bulbs aren't giving out enough, as the natural sun will more then make up for it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had an old MVB that was used for around four years. I figured it was making little to no UV any more and was really only using as a heat source. Frankly I was shocked that it still worked at all after all that time. When I got my 6.5 meter I stuck it under that bulb just out of curiosity. At 12" through a screen top I got a reading of 7.1. That is as high as mid day summer sun high on a mountain top with no haze or cloud cover. I was shocked.

Buy the meter. Test your bulbs. This is the only way to know that you have the correct amount of UV coming out of any type of bulb of any age.