Terry loves his food

Diane1157

Location (City and/or State)
Leicestershire. England
IMG_4217.JPG Terry has settled in lovely had him now nearly 3 months and he really loves his food.Here he is eating cauliflower and kale.
He has fresh veg and pellets and it's fun to watch him decide which to eat first. He sits on his rock and looks at his dishes to see which he fancys first I set one each side of his viv so he has plenty of exercise.
He also looks over to me now when I talk to him, he's a joy xx

GingerLove

5 Year Member
He's adorable!!!! I'm glad you posted a second picture. In the first one his eyes were closed and he looked swollen, I was worried! But in this one I see that he is perfectly healthy and adorable!!!!!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
That was his first bit and he loved it only given now and again like to try with different things to see what he prefers
That's great that you vary his diet. An occasional treat is fine, but as I'm sure you know, vegetables and fruit are not part of the regular diet.

Enjoy him, he looks like fun!

yillt

Vegetables are actually a regular part of the diet, I thought?
They are. But I think she's referring to the fact that greens such as dandelions, lettuce etc which aren't considered as the conventional, every day vegetables like broccoli and carrots. But veggies should be fed daily. Not fruits though.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
They are. But I think she's referring to the fact that greens such as dandelions, lettuce etc which aren't considered as the conventional, every day vegetables like broccoli and carrots. But veggies should be fed daily. Not fruits though.

Oh, yes, sorry if I was not clear! To me, Russian tortoise food is "greens," whether those greens are weeds, or bits of "safe" green plants, or chicories and spring mix! Something leafy. Plus the occasional flower or bite of cucumber.

"Veggies" would be the those things with dense or heavy flesh: carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, and the like. To me those are very occasional treats. Fun for a tortoise to sample but not every day. :)