Terrarium setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmist

5 Year Member
Hi i am new to these forums. i have been on several gecko forums cause i love geckos. i have two baby redfoots in the same terrarium and its a pain but everytime i change their water i have to literally change it the next day because they pooped or urinated in it. i was wondering if anyone knows a good way to setup the terrarium or know of any good filtration systems that work for low amounts of water?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Dirty water is a fact of life in the tortoise world. I give my tortoises fresh water every day...and I have quite a few tortoises.

elmist

5 Year Member
I know. I have had both redfoots for two years now. but lately i have been gone on trips for a couple of days and I was just wondering if there was anything to help with the water while i was gone. they get plenty of food. its just the water thing.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Do you soak them? I soak mine daily and he only poops in his soaks. Maybe soak them more often or before you go away for a few days. The water should really be changed daily anyways tho.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
elmist said:
Hi i am new to these forums. i have been on several gecko forums cause i love geckos. i have two baby redfoots in the same terrarium and its a pain but everytime i change their water i have to literally change it the next day because they pooped or urinated in it. i was wondering if anyone knows a good way to setup the terrarium or know of any good filtration systems that work for low amounts of water?

I change the water several times a day, if I wouldn't drink it, neither should my tort. Who feeds them while you are gone? I would hire some one to come in and change the water and feed them, I am sure you could find someone to do it for $5 a day.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
elmist said:
I know. I have had both redfoots for two years now. but lately i have been gone on trips for a couple of days and I was just wondering if there was anything to help with the water while i was gone. they get plenty of food. its just the water thing.
don't know how big your torts are but I used one of those automatic top-off dog watering dishes (that holds a gallon in a resivior in the back of the dish) when I went to FL last Aug.. (have a friend that fed them but I wanted to make it easier on her) the bowl was big enough for their head to get a drink but they would have had to back in to get their tail in. Worked GREAT.... BUT my torts are approx 10 inches

nandymaldonado

5 Year Member
I soak my baby redfoot a couple times a week, she only relieves herself during soaks only. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.