Temporary Housing for Young Leopard

ilikecake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, SC
I have a well started and healthy 5 month old leopard tortoise. I am moving across the country in 2 weeks and am starting to pack up my things. What is the best way to transport him? I know it is far from ideal, but would it be okay for him to live in a Kritter keeper for a week or two while we move and set everything back up? I’m not sure how to keep the temperature and humidity constant. Any tips are appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can you set him up in a large plastic bin and arrange all the stuff inside the bin just exactly like it is in his home enclosure? I'm assuming you'll be stopping at motels at night? This time of year there probably won't be a need for heat, but you can bring some "Hot Hands" hand warmers just in case you may need them.

ilikecake

5 Year Member
Charleston, SC
Can you set him up in a large plastic bin and arrange all the stuff inside the bin just exactly like it is in his home enclosure? I'm assuming you'll be stopping at motels at night? This time of year there probably won't be a need for heat, but you can bring some "Hot Hands" hand warmers just in case you may need them.

Yes I will be stopping at hotels. Should he be okay if he goes a few days without his lights and soaking? And do you mean just like a plastic bin with a cover?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
A regular Rubbermaid storage bin would be suitable. Keep the lid and cut holes for circulation.