Temperature question

BaywoodKids

5 Year Member
I have a 3 year old desert tortoise who is ready to be outside full-time in his big outdoor table, but I'm not sure if it stays warm enough here for him, even in the summer. Looking for some guidance. Temps stay consistently in the upper sixties to mid seventies during the daytime, and I've spot-checked basking spot temps at over 100. But at night it drops into the fifties, and it takes a while in the mornings for the air to warm up. We also frequently have fog here. Is it ok to keep him in these temps, or should I be using supplemental heating? TIA!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you?

That sounds far too cold and clammy. Are you near the coast? If yes, you need to be very careful. The conditions you describe can easily make them sick, and its a difficult recovery if this happens.

If he's still in a table, then I don't think he's big enough to live outside full time yet, especially not in those conditions. What size is he?

You will definitely need supplemental heat. I suggest something like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

BaywoodKids

5 Year Member
Hi Tom, thanks for your reply! I should clarify that I meant living outside full-time in his outdoor table, during the summer months. He needs more room than we can offer him inside! Yes, we do live on the coast, in central California, so fog and cooler temperatures are my concern. I love the box you featured in the thread you shared, and I'm wondering, do you have a temperature gauge in there or do you just rely on the day/night timer to regulate the supplemental heat? Thanks Tom!

BaywoodKids

5 Year Member
Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about size. He's really grown in the last few years! His shell currently measures 6.75" long and 4.5" wide. Here's a pic I just took of him today, cruising around on what's left of the lawn outside my office. Hope the picture comes through ok.

Liam.jpg