Temperature level

Sam1993

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I was wondering if my enclosure might be to hot for my 2 year old sulcata I changed the lighting system...

Cold side 86f
Warm side 94f
In hide 89f
Night temperature 84f
Directly under heat lamps and UV lamp
113f

What do u think ? Too hot?

S

SuIcata

I was wondering if my enclosure might be to hot for my 2 year old sulcata I changed the lighting system...

Cold side 86f
Warm side 94f
In hide 89f
Night temperature 84f
113f

I think ur temperatures are perfectly fine [emoji106]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Cold side 86f
Warm side 94f
In hide 89f
Night temperature 84f
113f

Everything looks good except the basking temp. 113 is going to contribute to drying out the carapace and pyramiding. Raise the bulb a little and get the basking temp down to about 95 directly under the bulb AT TORTOISE HEIGHT. This means put a rock or a brick or something about as tall as your tortoise directly under the bulb and let it cook for an hour or two, and then temp the surface with your temp gun. It should be less than 100 at that height. Adjust the height of the bulb, or use a different wattage bulb, or use a rheostat to make this happen.

You could also let night temp drop a little more, but 84 is better than 74.

Sam1993

Pennsylvania
Everything looks good except the basking temp. 113 is going to contribute to drying out the carapace and pyramiding. Raise the bulb a little and get the basking temp down to about 95 directly under the bulb AT TORTOISE HEIGHT. This means put a rock or a brick or something about as tall as your tortoise directly under the bulb and let it cook for an hour or two, and then temp the surface with your temp gun. It should be less than 100 at that height. Adjust the height of the bulb, or use a different wattage bulb, or use a rheostat to make this happen.

You could also let night temp drop a little more, but 84 is better than 74.
Thank u
I Managed to get the temperature at shell level to now 96.8 f I hope this is better
I can let the night temperature drop a little more would 78f be ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank u
I Managed to get the temperature at shell level to now 96.8 f I hope this is better
I can let the night temperature drop a little more would 78f be ok?
That all sounds prefect for a 2 year old. I like babies closer to 80 at night, but 78 is close enough for a two year old since the whole enclosure is getting warm every day.

Using less electric heat is also beneficial because it allows things to be a little more humid, and can reduce the effects of pyramiding. Saves you money on the electric bill too! :)

Sam1993

Pennsylvania
That all sounds prefect for a 2 year old. I like babies closer to 80 at night, but 78 is close enough for a two year old since the whole enclosure is getting warm every day.

Using less electric heat is also beneficial because it allows things to be a little more humid, and can reduce the effects of pyramiding. Saves you money on the electric bill too! :)
A big thank u from me and my tort for ur help [emoji16] [emoji106]