temperature control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teq1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Can anyone recommend a good thermostat? Those advertised for reptiles are a little pricey. I'll buy them if I have to, but it would be better if I could buy one that's less expensive and gets the job done. I'll take any recommendations. I would want to use the thermostat on a che. Thanks in advance!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I find I don't need one...just guess what wattage will work and adjust the height accordingly, then check the temps every 1-2 days and adjust again. Do you have a room temp that varies a lot? Sometimes I like simpler solutions...as if you do the thermostat route, you have to worry if the fixture can take it, if the thermostat fails would it then get too hot, bulb wears out faster, etc. Just a thought. Hopefully someone comes along to answer your actual question (I've never used one).

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I also just use a plug-in dimmer switch when I want to throttle things back. I bought it at home depot for not too much and it's just a plug with a male and female end that has a switch attached to it. You plug that into the socket, then plug your lamp into the dimmer.

datsunissan28

5 Year Member
Ohio
Take a look at the Herp Keeper by Digital Aquatics. Its new to the reptile market, but a few people I know worked on the demo versions with them. For about $90.00 each outlet can be individually controlled by temperature (thermostat), humidity (rheostat), and by timer. You can also program for seasonal lighting shifts and different night time temperatures. They only started selling to the public about a month ago, but once the word gets around I'm sure this will be the new standard.

They also have upgraded models that hook up to the internet and can send you email, texts, etc if something falls out of a certain preset parameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.