Temperature consistency during hibernation

Freddy90

Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Hello I bought a fridge for my spotted turtle to hibernate him during winter.
Now the temperature changes every few like 7-10 hours between 3.8°c and 6°c
Is this in the ok range ?
(Turtle not in yet plan on putting him in the fridge during mid October just testing beforehand)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
(Turtle not in yet plan on putting him in the fridge during mid October just testing beforehand)

Is your fridge totally empty, or do you have a few items in there? I’m thinking maybe a few bricks that will get & stay cold in there will help stabilize the internal trmps better than a totally empty one.

@mark1 I think is a useful resource.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I fill the unused space with water bottles to get more consistent temps.

@Markw84 is a spotted turtle breeder here on the forum. He'll know if that temp range is acceptable, and likely have more tips too.

Freddy90

Austria
Is your fridge totally empty, or do you have a few items in there? I’m thinking maybe a few bricks that will get & stay cold in there will help stabilize the internal trmps better than a totally empty one.

@mark1 I think is a useful resource.

Its empty yes.
ok I will try to put water bottles in the empty space thank u :)

Freddy90

Austria
I fill the unused space with water bottles to get more consistent temps.

@Markw84 is a spotted turtle breeder here on the forum. He'll know if that temp range is acceptable, and likely have more tips too.

Will try the water bottle method thank u :)

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
open containers of water will keep the humidity up and stabilize the temp ........ the fuller the fridge the more stable the temp ....... the temp swings you posted are not that much ....... i've seen rivers swing 10 degrees fahrenheit overnight .........

Freddy90

Austria
open containers of water will keep the humidity up and stabilize the temp ........ the fuller the fridge the more stable the temp ....... the temp swings you posted are not that much ....... i've seen rivers swing 10 degrees fahrenheit overnight .........
Thank u for replying! I'm currently testing the water bottle method but the open container with water idea sounds also great I think I will do both. Gonna update tomorrow with a picture for all of u :)

Freddy90

Austria
Current situation
The aerator works good even tho the fridge stays cold.
Temperatures have become stable cause of all ur tips now at 4.1°c I have 2 thermostats to check
Gonna measure the temperature now over a few weeks before I put him in.
The cords will get situated and I will ad leaf litter to the water tub still reading countless info on hibernation and I think I'm set thank u all for helping me @Tom @mark1 @all the others which names I forgot sorry :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Are you planning on breeding this turtle? Just curious why you want to hibernate artificially? It's not really necessary and can be risky.

Freddy90

Austria
Are you planning on breeding this turtle? Just curious why you want to hibernate artificially? It's not really necessary and can be risky.

I want to in the future so I thought it was better to get him used to it early. Also the breeder I got him from got his breeding group from Canada and he also hibernate all his offspring directly and told me it is just a natural thing in the life of a spotted turtle from canada. :)