Temp setup for a redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I rescued a redfoot as some of you may know, I just want to show some pics of my setup for some suggestions.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369286681.524886.jpg

It is 2 50 gallon totes connected. The light is a power sun, the dome farthest back is a Che but its only a 60 watt so it wasn't getting hot enough and I added the red light to make up for it. This weekend ill be getting a 100 watt so I can take the red out.

Temps are high 70s throughout the whole thing except right under the light that is mid 80s(it's night here, so it's night temps, but we got home late with him so I still had the power sun on)

The whole back 1/2 is a humid hide, 1/2 sphagnum moss 1/2 coco. With a plant pot for more cover so he can really tuck in while in there

The front has a food slate and plant saucer for water and is 100% coco

I don't have any pics of her yet as she went for the humid box pretty quickly after her soak when we got home, ill take some and post them tomorrow after work.

Last edited by a moderator:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would do what you can to boost the temps still. Lets see the tort! Is he liking all the extra space?

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
Looks like a pretty nice temporary setup

0.3.0 sulcata tortoise
(Manavi, aspen, Bronx)
1.0.0 Russian tortoise
(Ivan)
1 Great Dane
(Koko)

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I think that it's a she, I'm not sure and tomorrow I will take pics after her bath when I weigh her. She seems fairly healthy, she is heavy and seems active. I gave her a soak when we got home and she took a few drinks and took a big poop before I took her out.
The person I got her from had actually rescued her from a coworker who was going to just let it go in the woods, they had it about a month before they realized she needed a new home.
They were feeding her fruits and water turtle sticks of some sort. So I gave her some romaine and collard greens mixed together as well as a few mushrooms, when I put her in she sniffed at them but then went to the hide.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
jjsull33 said:
I think that it's a she, I'm not sure and tomorrow I will take pics after her bath when I weigh her. She seems fairly healthy, she is heavy and seems active. I gave her a soak when we got home and she took a few drinks and took a big poop before I took her out.
The person I got her from had actually rescued her from a coworker who was going to just let it go in the woods, they had it about a month before they realized she needed a new home.
They were feeding her fruits and water turtle sticks of some sort. So I gave her some romaine and collard greens mixed together as well as a few mushrooms, when I put her in she sniffed at them but then went to the hide.

Grrr whoever sold them this tortoise did a poor job of informing them of their care. But on the bright side shes in your care.

abclements

5 Year Member
Looks good! Glad you're gonna take care of her properly. My two suggestions are:

1. Cover the entire enclosure. It creates a closed chamber that really makes it easy to keep the humidity high

2. I would put some plants in there that she can hide under. It helps encourage them to come out of their hide if they have something they can peer out from underneath

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Ok I wrapped a bunch of it in tinfoil as that's what I have, and its keeping the humidity in the mid-high 80s and the temp is low-mid 80s

I also swapped the 60 watt Che for a 100 watt one and I still need the red lamp, this weekend when I have more time I will mess around with it while I let her in the yard and if I still can't keep it correct without the red one ill get a 160 watt Che

And I'll get some plants soon, I actually just got some lettuce seeds, ill plant a few outside the cage and plant them once they get going, plus ill look into some others for a sooner planting.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Those temps are much better. I also use a 150 watt CHE in my enclosure but that's all the heating I use. It's on a thermostat and turns on/off as needed.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I'll be getting a thermostat sometime but that has to wait for now, no money for a little while, has to wait till the next paycheck.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Luckily the zoo med hydrotherm was reduce from 99 to 30 since its discontinue(at PetSmart) cus I got a good deal on that or I still wouldn't have one!

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
So I haven't had to spray since yesterday afternoon and the Humidity has stayed around 85%, the temp has also stayed at 81-82 in the covered box side. The other side needs some help to stay humid but I will fix that up with plastic wrap this weekend (that way I can still see inside that side) But things are looking good so far, hes alert and seems to love the new place.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
So I got home from work and as I expected it was a bit hotter than this morning but it was 87 I opened the top a crack and its down to 83, is it ok to get that hot?

Also I misted a bit since he seems to enjoy it and humidity got up to 95, I assume that's fine as a rain forest is probably 100% most of the time. Should I strive for 100%?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
87 is on the higher side, I'd aim for 84 personally. And humidity as long as its above 80.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
No 95% is fine, if a bit too humid. Really should be not much more than 90%. Their natural range varies usually from about 65-90%. They will be fine at 87 but it is too hot so try to get it down to around 80

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Ok I fixed it up today here are a few pics.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369524866.002755.jpg

I wrapped the back side with tinfoil and it seems to be keeping the temp at 83 without the red light on. The front side is wrapped in plastic wrap and is keeping the humidity around 85, temps are 90-93 under the basking light. I had the humidity at 90 in back earlier today and then I moved things so I don't know what it is but it's high, once I have the front stable I will check the back again.

He is enjoying the changes as he is walking around the front and eating in front of me now.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369525419.313564.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I assume that it's fine to have his enclosure in an air conditioned room, as long as temps and humidity are correct what's the harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.