Tejas has a new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
So I decided Tejas needed a better outside enclosure instead of the small portable one he had been using, so here are a few pics of it.

This single cactus is one that we started the root system in a 2 liter bottle and it had some new growth but Tejas ate it soon after he was put in the enclosure. and yes it's unside down "wanted to try something different"
IMG00149-20110622-1056.jpg

IMG00150-20110622-1056.jpg

IMG00148-20110622-1056.jpg

Added another cactus. This is a grocery store one that is rooted but the ones from the grocery store tend to take longer to start producing new growth.
IMG00153-20110624-1048.jpg

IMG00151-20110624-1048.jpg

After about 5 days we had new growth from some bird seed that I put in and we added a marigold for shade and a couple succulents.
IMG00204-20110702-1457.jpg

IMG00206-20110702-1457.jpg

IMG00205-20110702-1457.jpg

This was the temporary top "his portable enclosure" that I flattened out. I have since made a new one just no photo's yet.
IMG00198-20110629-1509.jpg

I still need to build him a good burrow that he can use as a hide and maybe add some different type of seed. I never seem to have my camera when he is out enjoying the enclosure so those will come later as he gets more comfortable in there.

Hopefully we will be in a larger house before he out grows this enclosure.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
coreyc said:
Looks great I think Tejas will love it :)

He has been enjoying it, he likes to lay under the merigold.

wrmitchell22 said:
That looks awesome! Great shade and yummy stuff to snack on :)

Thanks, he ate the new growth on the cactus and some of the succulents, and he has been enjoying the different types of weeds in there.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Torty Mom said:
Great job, it looks like a little slice of paradise for your little dude!

Thanks, it's not much space but since he is still small he has a ton of room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love it. I bet he does too. I like the marigold. There are so many plants that can be used that I don't even know about. I like the shade and bushiness from the marigold. I've gotta look that one up and see how well it will do here.

I use tops like that too sometimes. Its functional until you can get something more permanent built. :) I've got a spread out doggy exercise pen over one right now, suspended by some screws. I'm in the process of building a better looking one right now.

Thanks for the pics D'marcus.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
matt41gb said:
Very cool! He's going to love it.

-Matt

You can check it out and maybe give me some ideas if you ever make it over to the house...:p

Tom said:
Love it. I bet he does too. I like the marigold. There are so many plants that can be used that I don't even know about. I like the shade and bushiness from the marigold. I've gotta look that one up and see how well it will do here.

I use tops like that too sometimes. Its functional until you can get something more permanent built. :) I've got a spread out doggy exercise pen over one right now, suspended by some screws. I'm in the process of building a better looking one right now.

Thanks for the pics D'marcus.

He have marigold growing everywhere so we had to figure out something to do with them, we put a couple in with Vegas. He took a few bites and then smashed them all.

I actually recycled the wood from the temp enclosure for the new top. I hate working with that chicken wire but I had to use what was on hand.

Eventually I wanna try your underground burrow with Vegas. I closed his burrow off a few days ago and within a few hours he started another one in a bad spot so I had to open the old one back up.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Fernando said:
Lookin good D! I like the castle looking hide.

It's a flower pot from family dollar, think it was $2..:D I couldn't cut a circle with the box cutter so I did what I could with the opening..

Status
Not open for further replies.