tarantulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Rose hairs are awesome!!! Words of wisdom.....never try holding a cobalt ......they are super aggressive!!!!!!!!!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A few years ago Polly (my wife's) red legged got into a predicament she couldn't get out of, I let her hang like this for several hours to see what she was going to do, she hung there until I put my hand under her and lifted her so she could get a hold with another foot,and then she was fine.When we got her she couldn't touch the outer edges of a quarter with all feet at one time.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
AustinASU said:
Rose hairs are awesome!!! Words of wisdom.....never try holding a cobalt ......they are super aggressive!!!!!!!!!

I learned that the hard way at work. Evil little fellow almost bit me!!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
futureleopardtortoise said:
AustinASU said:

I used to work at petco as well, and a lady that worked their went to feed a cobalt. Literally as soon as she opened the top of the enclosure it jumped on her hand and tagged her twice. That was over two years ago and she still has severe nerve damage on that hand.....so for future reference be .......supppppper careful lols

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Tom said:
NudistApple said:
I have a rose hair, she is mean as hell. <3
I've honestly never tried to handle her, but I enjoy watching her.

I have seen a couple like that. For my purposes (the movie business), that works great. I use them in teams. I like to have a sitter, a runner, and one that will rear up, show his fangs and stand his ground. Those mean ones are like gold to me. Don't see them too often.

She is the run, charge, and then rear type. Though I've learned (while doing essential tasks like changing her water) that she will play dead if she thinks the threat is sticking around.
To her honour though, she hasn't ever flicked her hairs at me. I appreciate that.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
AustinASU said:
futureleopardtortoise said:
AustinASU said:

I used to work at petco as well, and a lady that worked their went to feed a cobalt. Literally as soon as she opened the top of the enclosure it jumped on her hand and tagged her twice. That was over two years ago and she still has severe nerve damage on that hand.....so for future reference be .......supppppper careful lols

Hahahaha, I am SOOOO lucky then. I open the door all the time just to make sure the stupid thing is still alive, and when we first got it, I poked it's back with my finger and it reared on me. Then it freaked out and landed on its back. I didn't want to be responsible for killing an $80 spider so I grabbed a pen and tried to use it to flip it back over. It started crawling up the pen, so I dropped it, pen and all, back into the tank and he then started to beat the crap out of the pen. Evil, EVIL spider.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Courtney, is this guy still for adoption? If so, what is the cost?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
The evil spider, or the rose hair? The evil spider is $80, the rosehair we have for adoption is $10 and I think he's still available, I didn't work yesterday but he was still there on Tuesday night. He doesn't come with a cage or anything though.

She, I guess it's a girl, sorry Susan (we named the spider Susan)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ONLY $10! Let me know if she is still there. I am coming to Omaha on Sunday and if she is still available (which I really do doubt), then if I can locate your store I will buy her.

I had one years ago, which I was babysitting for my older son. I loved her. Since then keep fondly looking but never break down and buy one.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
She's been here for two weeks now, I bet she'll still be here :p If you call the store, they may even put her on hold for ya.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Josh said:
I've always wanted a T but never had the guts yet. Maybe at the next reptile show... ;) :)
I started TarantulaForum.com to help me get over my fear too - It's all about exposure

That's why I always keep a snake around, because I have a fear of them. Well currently there are no snakes once my old Ball Python died. :( I still don't like reaching into the snake's enclosure to take them out and certainly do not like the unexpected encounters with them in my yard, but do like holding them. Watching them eat has always been an awesome thing for me.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
woohoo! I worked tonight and apparently someone tried to handle her yesterday and they didn't do a very good job of it so she's acting really stressed, didn't want me to mess with her at all tonight, but I don't think she's ever flicked her hairs yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The grammastola seldom flick their urticating hairs in my experience. Every once in a while you'll find one that does it occasionally, but that's not the norm for this whole genus.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So sounds like she is still there going into Friday. Only two days to go. :D
Now I just have to do some research to make sure I get her set up ready and correctly done for her to come home to. How big is she?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Maybe three inches. I still think you should call ahead and reserve her :) it's be cool to have her go to someone I know.

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
:) Several yrs back i had 79 T's at one point raised many many T's thruout the yrs from tiny pin dot babies to the goliaths of the world. :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*Barracuda_50* said:
:) Several yrs back i had 79 T's at one point raised many many T's thruout the yrs from tiny pin dot babies to the goliaths of the world. :D

I can't imagine being surrounded by that many of them at one time.

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
Jacqui said:
*Barracuda_50* said:

I can't imagine being surrounded by that many of them at one time.

Thats why not many folks came around the old house to visit unless they were critter freaks like us, we had a Warnning sign on the door that read

"WARNNING"
Enter at your own risk!!
Walking into this house could get you serious bodly injery,
a tarantula may mistake you for prey and jump on your face outa nowhere!! :p

Had another sign on our driveway gate about pythons and boas to it was funny kept the nasty neighbors away thats for sure.

The sign idea i came up with due a one of the many Cobalt Blues i had raised she was just down right NASTY and when i serviced her tank, to clean, freshen water dish, feed or moisten her bedding i had to open her door VERY SLOWY and carefully as she was VERY sneaky. We called her "Devil -IN- Bluedress" She had a webbed burrow and when she felt the ever so slightest movement she would FLY outa that burrow fangs wheeling right at the door, one time she almost made it outa that door onto my face.. LOL!! I hung out way back in those days on Clay English website called RedTailBoas.com he has lots photos of my Ts if there still in the forums. I noticed his website sure has changed since back in my days there..
We had so many Ts i had a room devoted just to them, one time when i was shipping some Ts to Cali to someone hubby and i was packing them up one morn and one very large King Baboon T got loose and a friend of mine thats afraid of spiders was over and when she saw it get lose she dissapered and we didnt know where she went after she screamed took us a sec and found her up on the kitchen counter above that ontop the darn cupbords how she got there we dont know but took us awhile to get her to come down even after we put the escaped T back in its travel deli dish.. Hubby and i could not stop laughing our arses off that night to this day Sadie still talks about that incident..:p I could go on and on about all sorts silly and cool T storys from our home. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.