Tank living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
ok I know torts in tanks usually don't mix b/c of lack of air ventilation but we just moved into an apartment and our porch, unfortunately, gets no sun at all. Great for my electricity bill, not so great for Rascal. So we are moving him back inside (with daily trips outside in a kiddie pool). I can easily leave him in his tub but I have a 55 gallon long tank that is way bigger then his tub.
So, if I fill it half way up with substrate, instead of a thin layer on the bottom, will it help with ventilation??

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Not everyone subscribes to the no glass tank thing. I always used glass tanks because that's what I had. I still use them today. In my case, I NEED less ventilation to try and maintain some humidity. Its very dry up here in the high desert. The other thing to watch out for is nose rubbing or constant pacing along the glass. If you see this, simply put up a visual barrier, like cut sections of a brown paper bag, with some tape for 6-8 inches. The plastic tubs are cheaper and better in some ways for some situations, but use what you've got on hand.

Now after all of that, I think a 55 is too small for anything but a tiny hatchling. What's the footprint? 48x18"?

Okay, now I'll admit that not everybody subscribes to the giant tank for small babies thing either.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It may also help with mold...

I wonder if you could build a false bottom, using pvc pipe legs, eggcrate, and window screen? Similar to how they do with vivaria.

That would allow for a little airflow under the substrate.

Or, get a bigger tub, lol. A 55 long is only 18" wide. A 40 long has the exact same footprint, only not as tall. I can buy a 30 gallon tub for $20, with a bigger footprint than a 55 gal tank, and that would be cheaper than messing with the PVC pipe and eggcrate and all that....

-ryan-

5 Year Member
For the record, a typical 55 long is only 13" wide (not 18"... that would be a 75). 48" long and 13" wide isn't recommended for anything other than fish, just because those dimensions just don't make sense for reptiles.

I have also used a variety of different terraria for tortoises, and I have found that some do better with glass then others. As far as ventilation, I purposely decrease ventilation because tortoises need heat and humidity, and those are two things my house just doesn't provide.

Have you thought above building something? It's pretty simple to fashion a suitable enclosure with very little knowledge of carpentry. I would say steer clear the 48"x13" 55 gallon tanks though (if that is what you have). You would be better off with something 24" deep (at least), even if that means cutting the length down to 36". Some of my animals are in small enclosures, comparatively speaking. You have to work with the space you have and make sure you get all of the ingredients right (heat, humidity, food, substrate, etc.). All of the space in the world won't make up for those. Just my 2 cents.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You could pick up an old table at a garage sale, and add walls, or place a book case on it's back and use it also.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I also agree to get a larger enclosure. I wouldn't want to use a tank, even if someone gave it to me for free and it was larger than what I already had!

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
Thanks everyone! I actually found a small patch of my porch that gets the same morning sun that rascal is used to so he gets to stay outside! yay! Of course since I live in an apartment complex now, he is literally chained down so no one can steal my baby. :)

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
ACK! OK so he's coming back inside right now! last night some local kids were playing outside my apartment and I saw them trying to sneak a peak into rascals tub and when i went out there to start packing him up they ran over to ask what was in the tub. now I'm not accusing them of plotting to steal my baby but it's not worth the risk for me. They all loved him, though, so maybe we'll have some tort lovers soon. :) I actually got to talk to them a lot about him and how much care is needed. I loved educating them about DT's and they were really interested! but now the box that's growing grass (for my dog originally b/c there is no grass in my complex) is for rascals sunning box that he'll go in for a few hours while i can be right there watching him. and now i need to make another grass box for my little snickers. (dog)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Good for you for being willing to do the work. They sure do require a lot of attention to detail...I'm still plotting how to cover Taco's large outdoor enclosure so I can leave her outside during the day while I'm in and out, and not constantly worry that a stray coyote or raccoon will come in my yard and try to injure my Pinto Bean! :(

Probably some chicken wire with thin boards along the edges...

Status
Not open for further replies.