Tank is jumpy sometimes. /:

Tank the great

5 Year Member
Hey everyone. Another random question from the newbie. My little guy, Tank can get a little jumpy at times when I pick him up or pet his shell. He moves very suddenly and/or tries to get away. What's that all about? Does he not like me?, Are they just moody animals?, or Do I just need to take him out and handle him more so he gets more used to me? I'm sorry if these are lame questions but I'm used to dogs and cats who thrive on attention so I don't know what to expect from Torts.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
you gotta think about it from your torts perspective. this giant creature is looming over you and then picks you up and you go flying through the air, no feet touching the ground like normal. for the most part, tortoises do not show affection like a dog, in any way. they will run to you for food usually. you're the food god. you can handle your tort everyday to get him use to you but don't stress him out by handling him too much. he may always be skittish but it's an animal. the best way to get him to like you is move slowly around him and hand feed him his favorite food.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You have to understand that sulcata torts are solitary animals. They don't seek to be loved, cuddled, or otherwise seek approval from their owners. They eat, sleep, poop, and later seek a mate. As much as I want or need my torts to love me or let me know they appreciate all that I do for them, the fact of the matter is that they seem to enjoy variety in food and scenery, maybe. But, mainly, they act on instincts, look to satisfy their insatiable appetites, and move about just because it's in their nature to do so. Do they show any signs that they recognize their owner? Yes, they sometimes do. But, that doesn't make them like pet dogs or cats. Providing for them and seeing them grow healthy and satisfied is the most we can hope for. Be happy with that:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great answers given already. You can handle him more and like said hand feed his faves and when he does get bigger, he probably will act less skittish and not mind the touch. Then again, he may be one of those that will always mind it.

One more thing. I don't know if this really helps or not. However, my Russian is always skittish when I pick him up and he wiggles and moves his feet like if he could run away, he'd be gone fast. I will hold him so I am looking him right in the face and I talk to him and he settles right down every time. Maybe he recognizes me and realizes I am the food mom and then feels safe, I don't know. But works for me:D

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
My tort was very skittish with me at first, too. He would always hiss and hide and snort at me when I tried to pet him. However, after living with him in the same quarters for two years he has grown extremely used to people. I take him to parks and to the lake and he doesn't even notice or care when five kids run up and pet him all at once- on the head and everything. He waddles over to me and basically sticks his head in my hand for a pet, too.

But, like all things, I'd imagine each tortoise has his/her own personality. Some, like mine, won't mind (or even seem to enjoy) attention, while others might always prefer to be alone and untouched. Admired from afar, if you will. :p

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
While sulcata tortoises will never show affection like a dog or cat, they do have their moments. It has taken a while (actually a couple of years), but now my sulcata will accept a head, neck, or shell scratch from me. He will even let me scrub the poop off his back feet and toes. Now that is trust! When I am doing something in the yard he comes over to inspect (he may just be checking for food). Sometimes he will sit nearby as if he is hanging out with me. He has gotten used to family members as well and will respond to their presence in the yard. Of couse he has to check them out first.

Once he is okay with them he will share his favorite sunning spot with them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the time sulcatas personalities really begin to shine at around 3 years old.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks Barb. Watching these two interact is a joy. Each is so curious about the other. The little boy is my grandson. It's not the first time he has visited with Chuck. Each time they both get wet and dirty. Then his Mom picks him up and Chuck And I have a laugh.

Tank the great

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the information and your personal experiences. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]