TAKEN FROM THE WILD!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks like a red ear slider. They are quite common. I tried to reply but the ad is 2 months old and it wouldn't let me reply.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I sent that person a text back when it was a new ad telling them it was most likely a wild turtle and to put it back where they found it when it was a warm enough day. They never responded, but I hope they did that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like a water turtle, of the red ear variety. Does anyone know if they are native to texas?

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
As a Texas native myself, I can say that red ears are native to South and East Texas. We have a local ornate variety that is especially colorful and tenacious, though this population is quickly losing it's uniqueness to all the Mississippi and Louisiana farm produced sliders being released here on a daily basis. I used to rescue some from a dam here in town, this massive concrete spill way that would trap the turtles in shallow water, making them easy pickings for predators. I've pulled all kinds out of that spillway, from snappers to softshells to mud turtles. I've even pulled painted turtles and yellow bellies(which aren't native to Texas). With the native ones and the red ears, I would just return them to the pond, hoping I wouldn't catch them in the spillway again. The non-natives I'd usually keep until I could find someone at the STHS meeting to take 'em.

But yeah, people are, sadly, always snatching these turtles from the wild in South Texas, and they're always releasing ones that don't belong. I stopped dwelling on it a while back, given that I don't want to spend my life perpetually furious at the stupidity and ignorance of the insane apes destroying the planet's biodiversity. I mean, I still catch people from time to time killing turtles or tearing hooks from their mouths after catching one on a fishing line, then having to argue with their idiotic asses about whether or not turtles can feel. It always ends up becoming a confrontation, given that their belief that turtles "can't feel" makes it easier for them to treat the animals as valueless objects. But yeah, this craigslist ad doesn't surprise me in the least, however unfortunate it is. I mean, that turtle is old. It survived over a decade in a harsh environment, through floods and droughts and all the perils of the unforgiving South Texas environment. That it should end it's life failing to adapt to the substandard care of someone who refers to it as a tortoise is truly lousy.

T.G.