• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

[T. marginata] Won't Take Her Vitamins

Donald Esker

Location (City and/or State)
Waco Texas
Hey All! I have a marginated tortoise named Oliver who is proving to be a very picky eater. I got her last Sunday, and until today she refused to eat anything -- not spring greens, not squash or carrots. I even tried pellets -- nothing. Then this morning I saw her nibbling on the decorative moss in her habitat. Clearly, she's hungry but didn't like anything I offered. I wondered if the vitamin powders I used might be the problem, so I gave her some spring greens without them today. She ate readily. So I've got a baby tortoise that wont take her vitamins. How big a problem is this? Can I cut back on her vitamin dose? (I'm using the recommended amount) Does she NEED the vitamins if I give her a varied enough diet? Did I just pick a bad brand? I'm using Rep-Cal's 'Calcium with Vitamin D' and 'Herpetivite' -- are there more palatable brands? I want to make sure she grows up healthy!

Cheers,

Don

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Two things - make sure he's warm enough (if their inner core isn't at LEAST 80F degrees, they can't digest their food, so they won't eat), and the other thing - new tortoises "pout" until they become accustomed to their new territory. Tortoises are territorial and being removed from their safe old territory and plunked down in a new one disturbs them. They try to escape and get back to their old territory, and they stop eating. Give him a couple weeks.

Also, they don't like the taste of vitamins or calcium on their food. You only need to add vitamins once a week or even once every two weeks, and then just a tiny pinch between thumb and index finger. Sprinkle it over wet food and mix it up good. Same with calcium, only you can use it two or three times a week.