Symptom of soft shell

Coopersmom

will our baby have a slightly soft shell? Especially on belly? We are new to tortise world

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
All tortoises when born have a slightly leatherly like shell. what is your tortoise's diet like and is it getting sunshine?

Coopersmom

All tortoises when born have a slightly leatherly like shell. what is your tortoise's diet like and is it getting sunshine?

He is about 4-5 months old eats various greens and a few fruits. I also added food purchased at pet store this week that I softened. I have calcium powder with vitamin d powder I've been sprinkling on leafy greens. He has a uvb bulb and heat bulb on during the day and a nightlight for heat at night.

Coopersmom

He is about 4-5 months old eats various greens and a few fruits. I also added food purchased at pet store this week that I softened. I have calcium powder with vitamin d powder I've been sprinkling on leafy greens. He has a uvb bulb and heat bulb on during the day and a nightlight for heat at night.

The night ls a 50watt is that too hot? He's in a 10 gallon tank right now As recommend by pet store to keep him warm..

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
10 Gallon is too small to give your tortoise a thermal gradient. Keeping it warm is good advice but with no more space than 10 gallons a good hot spot could easily become lethal.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Coopersmom and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Please post pics of your little tort and his/her enclosure, so as to enable the experienced members to help you.

Can't help am not a tort expert - sorry. I've tagged two experts who could help you.

@Yvonne G @Tom please help @Coopersmom . Thank you.

Coopersmom

10 Gallon is too small to give your tortoise a thermal gradient. Keeping it warm is good advice but with no more space than 10 gallons a good hot spot could easily become lethal.
Thank you we will soon move up to 20gallon

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

What species are we talking about? Did I miss that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh. In that case: There is a lot of misinformation and conflicting info out in the world for this species. People frequently do hours of "research" on the internet, only to become completely frustrated. Care info for this species has historically been based on incorrect assumptions about their lives in the wild, and most of what you find is wrong. Pet stores are usually the worst source of care information, but they have lots of competition for that dubious honor. After decades of failure, trial and error, lots and lots of error, here is all the correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please give those a read through and then come back with all your questions.