Supplies needed??? Is this all to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmcnair

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas
1. Tortoise Table (or huge rubbermaid bin to start while hubby finishes table)
2. Substrate. Sand and Coir? Topsoil and Coir? Mulch?
3. MVP bulb. ZooMed, Exoterra or powersun?
4. Lamp for bulb
5. Hidey hole
6. Water dish.
7. Cuttlebone?

Now questions...

Do Russians like to go soak themselves?
Do they eat regular veggies too? Should they? We have lots of veggies for our parrots so...

Am I missing anything?

I am planning to build an outside enclosure, but that is on the bottom of a long list of honeydos.

dmmcnair

5 Year Member
Central Texas
I read it. :) It was one of the first things I read. I think I need more specific for Russians instead of generalized info now. I should have put that in the title, sorry.

And I'd like opinions from other Russian owners. Why they chose the substrate that they have, etc.

I just want to make sure that I pretty much have it down before we get him/her.

My brain is a little frazzled with my son reading over one shoulder and my parrot trying to type and steal my mouse alternatively.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would use eco earth or coco coir for substrate stay away from sand. Russians are going to burrow alot so make sure to get a good amount of substrate.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think substrate is more of a preference than anything else. I prefer using topsoil as a base and then adding to that. Sand, coir, or mulch can be added. I don't like using mulch by itself. I wouldn't worry about an MVB; in central Texas you should be able to get him outside enough that an indoor source of UVB probably isn't necessary.

I think you should have the (secure) outdoor enclosure ready when you get him. I think tortoises are better off being outside as much as possible, and you have the weather that it is possible for most of the year.

EKLC

5 Year Member
I agree with jaizei. If you can get him out for 30 minutes a couple days a week, no need to invest in a MVB.

You should get a thermometer, which is important especially in the beginning when you're trying to get temps right. Point and shoot infrared thermometers are very helpful.

You'll also need a source of night heat before it starts getting cool. I like to attach a ceramic heat emitter to a thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.