Sulcata won't eat only wants to dig

cheetahdoglover

Today is my birthday!
I have a sulcata that is 7 years old. I'm going to assume it is a male. He has always been a fabulous eater and doesn't have any pyramiding on his shell. I have had him since he was a hatchling. I acquired 2 more a couple of years ago, 1 larger, 1 smaller. They are eating fine. They are all in a shaded pen approx 30' x 30'. There is plenty of sunshine. Occasionally one of my rabbits digs a tunnel. Over the past 2 weeks, my 7 year old sulcata has decided to help. He spends all his time digging in this tunnel and isn't eating. He surfaces every day and I soak him daily. Today I put him in a smaller pen without a hole. He is attempting to dig a new one but hasn't been successful. Should I be concerned? I live in Florida and this began around the time the last hurricane came thru.

Ed mitch

Has the weather been good? It could be to do with the amount of humidity in the air after the abnormal weather? These don't tolerate wet weather.
Hope this helps

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sulcatas are a burrowing species. Especially in a hot climate like yours and especially in sandy soil like yours.

The surprise here is that he hasn't done it sooner.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sulcatas are a burrowing species. Especially in a hot climate like yours and especially in sandy soil like yours.

The surprise here is that he hasn't done it sooner.

Your sully probably doesn't like the recent move either. They are creatures of habit and if he had a larger enclosure with a burrow, he's probably missing it. Also, the eating problem isn't really a problem. Don't worry that he's not eating cause when he gets hungry, he'll be out grazing again. What I'm surprised of is that you don't really know if he's a he. If you haven't seen him trying to hump everything or seen a serious organ come out, he may be a she. Could you provide a pic of it's tail?

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Tortoises are also pretty good weather monitors, & yours may just be reacting to the low-pressure area that the hurricane caused. I'd dig a hole if a hurricane was headed towards me!

Ken

cheetahdoglover

Today is my birthday!
When I went to vet, she thought maybe Steve had impacted eggs. I just didn't think the tortoise was sexually mature. I have a large male that is obviously mature. The problem turned out to be a bladder stone causing kidney failure. It all just happened so suddenly. I thought reptiles were slow to become ill.