Sulcata Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanekoa

5 Year Member
Hi, I live in Hawaii on the Leeward side of the Island of Oahu where is is mostly dry and hot. It never gets hotter than 95 degrees or cooler than 60 degrees. Is this an ideal climate for my 15-20 lb. Sulcata to be roaming freely in my yard? What is to cold for a Sulcata?

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Is the 60* the night temp? Anything below 70-75* during the day is a bit chilly. Do you have a shed or something for him?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
At 15-20 lbs, I wouldn't worry about the temp...as long as it doesn't get below 60-65 at night...the daytime temp is fine too. But it will need a good basking spot...say 110-120 degrees. I know of a few people raising these guys in HI, and they do thrive! In fact, Aladar has a brother living in Honolulu...

chadk

10 Year Member!
I'd think it would be just about ideal. The low temps, for a tort that big, should be no problem if not for days on end. You hear of torts even smaller than that living in folks back yard all winter hiding somewhere, through freezing temps, only to appear when it warms up looking fine. So a 'cold snap' of 55-60 for a short bit is nothing in my opinion... Assuming an healthy adult (or good sized juvie) tort...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kanekoa:

Welcome to the forum!!

Kanekoa

5 Year Member
Thankyou very much for your support and ideas. Very Helpful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.