Hide too hot and damp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauraryan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Central Louisiana
How hot is too hot for a hide? With our Louisiana weather, we have had 7 inches of rain in the past few days. The hide for my two 50 lb Sulcatas is sometimes damp. The radiant heater gets the temp upward of 95 degrees. Is that too hot? I know thy won't exit the hide at night even if it gets too hot. The outside temp is uncharacteristically cool lately( mid 60's) Any advice or recommendations? Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think that 95 at a constant is on the high side--although with that much water they probably will be ok for a bit....their burrows/houses are not wet with that 7 inches of rain are they?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Outdoor adult sulcatas should not have a damp hide. If they are tracking water or mud in with them, that's one thing, but if the shelter is leaking or just not water proof, the that needs to be fixed.

Why on earth would you let your heater get the shelter up to 95? Put a thermostat on it. I like to set mine at 65-70 during hot weather and 80-85 during cold weather when they won't be able to warm up all day. Most of our summer days here are near 100, so I don't feel the need to keep them as warm at night.

Lauraryan

5 Year Member
South Central Louisiana
No hide not leaking, our ground just gets saturated. No standing water in hide. Today I scraped it dry and added clean dry cypress mulch and peat moss. I left heater off since hide was dry. I don't have heater with thermostat and just recently got the remote temp gauge as the nights have started to not get very cold anymore. What sort of thermostat should I look for?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use the same type that Joe posted. I have around 10 of these in use at any given time. Indoors, outdoors, underground, etc... They work very well and have given me no problems after several years of use in a wide variety of applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.