Sulcata Temp Outside Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Day 1 progress on my 3 Month Sulcata's "Sun Enclosure".

I'm still working on smoothing out the inner area (natural potting soil) and shaping the top "wire mesh" to lay over the top to keep other (potential) animals out. I'm only using this so he can go out in the sun for about an hour or so a day.

I put Terra Cotta pots to keep him out of the corners, I'm going to add some grass, a hide area and some shade to complete it.

This is only meant to be a temporary sun area, when he gets bigger I will probably lay cinder blocks (taller in height), and then finally build his adult outside enclosure.

Attachments

• 20120716_161603.jpg
    20120716_161603.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
About 72 to 80 degrees. Im thinking about using a open wood crate to create a shade area, and then a hide log within that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ooh... I'm gonna bet that those sides are too low. And he'll use those pots to climb up and out in those corners. I'd go with something at least 6" high for a hatchling.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Ooh... I'm gonna bet that those sides are too low. And he'll use those pots to climb up and out in those corners. I'd go with something at least 6" high for a hatchling.

I agree. Cinder blocks are really cheap and one or two rows would last a least a year or 2 anyway. I have had to upgrade my enclosure so many times. They grow so fast in the sun. It's exponential. Make it nice or make it twice ;-)

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Still have to pick up wood for the wire frame top, might as well pick up cinder blocks while I'm out.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Today's update.

Still to go:

* Hide log (eta tomm)
* Sprouting plants in Terra Cotta Pots (have seeds... need time)
* Wire mesh cover (Box style) to accommodate height (have some wood, need to measure out and cut)

Attachments

• 20120717_100402.jpg
    20120717_100402.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.