Sulcata sleeps in the shade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everytime I take out my sulcatas to sunbathe they run to the shade and go to sleep lol... any suggestions?

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
california
you no what mine does the same thing sometimes i think that meens they just feel like being antisocial

tandrreptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
dcoolguy68 said:
Everytime I take out my sulcatas to sunbathe they run to the shade and go to sleep lol... any suggestions?

Some tortoises generally do this there main priorities are eating sleeping drink and mating. Some are more active then others. Some of my tortoises tend to that theyll come out to eat go back to sleep, mate go back to sleep, etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Now, I'm not a scientist or anything, but I'm a pretty good common sense-type person, and it is MY OPINION that the beneficial rays from the sun float around in the air and will reach your tortoises in the shade. Reason I say this is because my mother-in-law was allergic to sunshine and NEVER went outside without being fully covered up, and yet when I saw her naked (e-w-w-w-w!) she had a white outline on her back where her bra would have been, and the skin around it was darker...not quite tan, but not as white.

Yvonne

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
LMAO.... thanks haha... I try to put my foot in their way to prevent them from going in the shade but I get tired so I just let them go.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
It sounds to me as your tort is a hatchling (2.5 ") and the open area means I can be seen and that hawk will get me, so I'd better get under cover. As long as some sunlight penetrates into his shade area he get it's benefit. If not you could make up a shade with lattice or similiar material.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
And being so small, they would heat up too fast. Being in the shade is probably warm enough for them. They regulate thier body temp by moving from sun to shade. They know what they need... to a point.
And being in the shade, they should still benefit from the sun. On a cloudy day.. its 'shady' but we still burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.