Sulcata outdoor in Dubai winter?

deserttort

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Hi all, lots of conflicting and generic info so asking specifics here.

I live in Dubai with 3 greeks and have recently adopted a juvenile sulcata (housed completely seperately). We have a big garden and she happily free ranges. Shelly is approx 5 years old, 18 inch carapace and 10 kg weight. Winter is approaching. Historically, I've let my greeks stay outdoors (they bury, get less active but no brumation). With the new sulcata, really confused about whether I can safely leave her outside throughout the winter.

I've pasted weather data below; it's definitely not cold enough for brumation (not that sullies do that) and there's plenty of sun even in peak winter days. Also, the climate is very similar to her home region in the Sahel.

A few options I'm considering for winter;

1. Leave her outdoors through the night like (but not with!) the greeks - she'll find a cozy spot or burrow. I haven't seen any burrowing yet, but the outdoor furniture covers have become her defacto hide. Ideal option if this is OK
2. Bring her indoors during the night or when especially cold outside. Indoor temps are around 70F. I don't want to build an actual indoor habitat, simply have her occupy a cozy nook of the house, likely one of the less used toilets
3. Build her a shaded hide outside, sheltered from wind and dew. Because of how our backyard is set up, I won't be able to provide a heat lamp outdoors
4. Other that doesn't involve creating a dedicated indoor habitat

Thanks in advance!!!

1698693304573.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sulcatas need to be able to stay warm, 80F. You need to build an insulated and heated night box that she goes into when she wants during the day and gets locked into every night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all, lots of conflicting and generic info so asking specifics here.

I live in Dubai with 3 greeks and have recently adopted a juvenile sulcata (housed completely seperately). We have a big garden and she happily free ranges. Shelly is approx 5 years old, 18 inch carapace and 10 kg weight. Winter is approaching. Historically, I've let my greeks stay outdoors (they bury, get less active but no brumation). With the new sulcata, really confused about whether I can safely leave her outside throughout the winter.

I've pasted weather data below; it's definitely not cold enough for brumation (not that sullies do that) and there's plenty of sun even in peak winter days. Also, the climate is very similar to her home region in the Sahel.

A few options I'm considering for winter;

1. Leave her outdoors through the night like (but not with!) the greeks - she'll find a cozy spot or burrow. I haven't seen any burrowing yet, but the outdoor furniture covers have become her defacto hide. Ideal option if this is OK
2. Bring her indoors during the night or when especially cold outside. Indoor temps are around 70F. I don't want to build an actual indoor habitat, simply have her occupy a cozy nook of the house, likely one of the less used toilets
3. Build her a shaded hide outside, sheltered from wind and dew. Because of how our backyard is set up, I won't be able to provide a heat lamp outdoors
4. Other that doesn't involve creating a dedicated indoor habitat

Thanks in advance!!!

View attachment 362980
As Wellington explained, you need a thermostat controlled shelter that stays 80 at night. Then your tortoise will simply retire to its shelter every night and you can shut the door to keep it warm and safe. Then, open the door each morning and the tortoise will come out when it is ready. And your tortoise is too large for heat lamps anymore.

Your greeks should have a similar shelter, but with lower night temps.

Here are two examples: