Sulcata nail bent

emfekete12

Location (City and/or State)
Wakeman, Ohio
Hi everyone. I have a 2-1/2 month old Sulcata and just recently noticed that one of the nails (claws?) on his front foot is bent upward (photo included). He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, even if I touch it he doesn't really shrink back like I would expect if it was painful but I also don't think it would be good for it to keep growing upward like that. And do their nails need trimmed regularly or is that normal length? I also included a picture of the outdoor enclosure we keep in during the day right now where I'm assuming it happened. It's about half filled with rocks seen and the other half grass, we tried to just use what was already at our house for the time being, and all the vegetation naturally growing in there is safe for him to eat (I triple checked). I haven't noticed him struggling to get around at all. At night or in cases of bad weather we have a tank set up for him inside with a substrate mix of cyprus mulch and reptile bedding with a few small rocks and logs in there for stimulation.

Attachments

• IMG_6559.jpg
    IMG_6559.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 10

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think it's good to keep growing like that either. Find a reptile vet that can cut it back is what I would do.
Also, he should not be housed outside all day. He needs a closed chamber enclosure with high 80% humidity and all correct temps in order to grow smooth and not pyramid.
Please read the sulcata caresheet and closed chamber threads.
@Yvonne G would you also recommend the nail get cut back?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Hum, I don't know . . I have a feeling it is the way the nail bed/claw bed is situated, and it will continue to grow that way even after being clipped. I have had a split fingernail for years, and keep it trimmed down in hopes that it "Grows itself out" but after 15 - 20 yrs, I'm no longer holding out hope...I think the same will be for your buddy.
It probably won't hurt him, it's just a visual distraction . . to us.
If it was situated with the others it would continue to be worn down, now with the way it's growing you might have to help him keeping it in check.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw, after having it cut back, if you do and it keeps growing up, it may have to be amputated.
I think leaving it could be dangerous to the torts face/eyes.