Sulcata in minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missniecie

5 Year Member
I am feeling like a terrible person. I purchased a sulcata today and am ecxited but am reading and researching....which I should have done before the purchase but cant change that now.....what do I do in the winter months? I cant find any information on what top do with a big one in the snowy winters! I can't be the only person top get themself into this situation....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome and hmmmm ooopss surprise you have a sulcata :D
Luckily for you there are some great ones here on the forum...you may want to do a search for sulcata enclosures...there are lots of pics here on the forum...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi MissNiecie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Well, its going to be difficult, but it can be done. There are several threads here on the forum about keeping a sulcata warm during cold weather.

May we know your name?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You are going to need to find and/or build a large heated room for your little baby when he gets bigger. For now, indoor enclosures will work just fine.

... and no, you are not alone. It can be done, and over the next few months, you will fall madly in love with that little baby and you will understand why other people in your area go to so much trouble for them. Good luck.

Missniecie

5 Year Member
My name is Niecie.....I am really waffling. I feel like it can be done, but everything I read is so negative that I am wondering if I am being naive?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well you've got lots of time to research it and decide. If you decide that you are not the right person for this tortoise, the best thing to do would be find him a new home with some one else. No harm in that. But no rush either. It will take at least a year or two before his/her size forces you into a decision. They are very appealing little creatures and he/she will soon steal your heart.

Missniecie

5 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words. I really want to go for it, just all the negative posts are freaking me out and want to do the right thing for this little guy. My heart is already stolen...soaked the little thing before work this morning and just loved watching his sleepy little eyes.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome! My Cooper gets his own space in the house during the winter months. I hope u have some place u can keep him nice and warm during winter, it can be done, its just a little work. Good luck to u! :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Do you own your own home? If so, you can construct an indoor enclosure that should suffice during the colder months when the animal is larger. Until larger in size, a tort table, bin, or breeder aquarium based system will work. Do not feel discouraged. Lots of folks (not necessarily here, but in general) are more than willing to be negative because it requires so little energy. A workable solution requires more energy than that, but finding and executing that solution will leave you feeling much more accomplished after you have successfully achieved it. Be creative. Many challenges can be overcome.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Boosh, ask and you shall recieve...

If you can start out with a table in the 8ftx4ft range... something like this.

This table has:
two 100watt Mercury Vapor bulbs (zoomed)
one 100watt Ceramic heat emitter for warmth at night (zoomed)
Bed a beast coconut substrate
All the lights are on digital timers with battery back up incase the power goes out.
Lights are on adjustable stands so they can be raised or lowered to get the basking spot temperatures accurate (zoomed)

Your biggest problem will be overcoming the A/C in your house because sulcatas need 60-70% humidity. You can either wet the substrate with a watering can daily or get a humidifier and water the substrate twice a week.

tortsetup2010.jpg

This information should get you started, if you have questions, send me a PM. I am raising a sulcata indoors myself, this is my setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.