Sulcata hatchling with dry eyes

topdogdawn

I just recently purchased three Hatchlings sulcata tortoises. One of them has dry eyes. It keeps rubbing it's eyes with his legs. Right above the eyes seem to be dry and flaking. I soak them once a day in warm water. What is the best thing to do for it? Help please

topdogdawn

I don't have a uvb bulb yet. When i got the tortoise his eyes were like that. I was going purchase a uvb bulb tomorrow. Right now I'm using a day bulb by pet meds.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
First of all, I would soak those babies two or three times daily for now. The baby with the eye problem could be the type of uv bulb that the seller used (maybe coil type). If so, one thing you can do for now is soak him in baby carrot food in the warm water. Also, baby eye drops can be put in the affected eye. If after a week, the baby still looks like he's having trouble, I would check with a qualified vet to see if he'll need medicated eye drops.

When you buy the Uvb bulb, make sure it's a mercury vapor bulb or some equivalent. Whatever you do, DON'T use any coil types despite any claims that it's coated and safe for tortoises. Not true! Also, use a substrate that doesn't have sand at all. Many here use 50/50 coco coir and organic soil (the type with no fertilizers) Keep us posted.

topdogdawn

Thank you. The seller told me to use Terramycin eye ointment. Does anyone know anything about that ointment? is not no back yard breeder. I got them out of Arizona.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
topdogdawn said:
Thank you. The seller told me to use Terramycin eye ointment. Does anyone know anything about that ointment? is not no back yard breeder. I got them out of Arizona.

Most breeders start them far too dry. Even the ones who really sound like they know what they are talking about.

Read the care sheet at the top of the sulcata page and click the links in my signature.

topdogdawn

Thank you for all the advice.
Tom I read over your care sheet. There is a lot a learned. Here is a picture of my three sulcata babies.

Attachments

• 1388838446456.jpg
    1388838446456.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 47
  • 1388838500003.jpg
    1388838500003.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 46

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
topdogdawn said:

Terramycin is a brand name no longer produced. It's an antibiotic. (Erythromicin) If he does not have an infection, don't use antibiotics, save that for when you really need it. You may create a resistant bug you can't treat in the future.

Go to a pharmacy (Walgreens, Riteaid, etc) and buy a little bottle of "Genteal Moderate to Severe" eye drops. They are for dry eye, and is more of a thick goo than liquid. It's safe to use on reptiles. I keep a bottle on hand for me and my dogs and torts. Love the stuff.
One drop every 4 hours. His cornea needs hydration.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388850249.828028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: