Sulcata has some sort of fungus on his back

Status
Not open for further replies.

molino

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, Cali
I noticed a few strange marks on my Tortoise's shell seem to be little scratches of some sort, so I called my vet where I take my dogs too and asked if they had a rep vet, they said yes, after the Dr. asked me how old my Turtle was I should have left, any way he used a swab and rubbed it on his shell he said it had no smell to it, when I did the same thing the day before it seemed to hurt him, anyway the Vet gave me some antibiotics to give him every other day orally for five days, plus told me to five times per day to swab the areas with Iodine on his shell (the scratch like things) anyway he seems to have another one now and is not getting any better, he is eating fine, spends his day outside until he comes in to his Tort Table, I soak him three times a week, he has fresh water in his Tort Table and that is where I feed him his treats, pumpkin (not for pies) carrots, Zuch, and other food items all with in moderation.

Can any one help me I'm not sure what to do and don't want to throw another $75 at a vet who knows nothing about Tortoises.

Here some photos not sure if you can see what I'm talking about though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure, but I THINK that antibiotics would have no effect on a shell fungus.

Also, swabbing with iodine every day would be harmful to the new growth. Its ok to use it the first day (Betadine is better than iodine), but after that maybe you could just put a human anti-fungal cream on it...something for athlete's foot.

But we really need to see the pictures.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I think antibiotics kill the bacteria that kill fungus. The Doc told me to put vinager in my sons ears after swimming because it kills bacteria, fungas and viruses. It might work for tortoises too. Although I would want someone elses oppinion before I used it on my tort.
Good Luck.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
mj8lef.jpg

1554g2x.jpg

311xm60.jpg

nq8pdt.jpg

ea5e2p.jpg

molino

5 Year Member
Sacramento, Cali
Angi said:
I think antibiotics kill the bacteria that kill fungus. The Doc told me to put vinager in my sons ears after swimming because it kills bacteria, fungas and viruses. It might work for tortoises too. Although I would want someone elses oppinion before I used it on my tort.
Good Luck.

Thanks Angie :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Athlete's foot cream will clear that right up. :)

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not seeing any scratches, but that's a nice looking sulcata.

S

Scooter

I also don't see the "scratches/fungus" you are talking about. Though that is one nice looking sully!

molino

5 Year Member
Sacramento, Cali
egyptiandan said:
Athlete's foot cream will clear that right up. :)

Danny

Thanks for the 411 Danny I will give it a try :)

Scooter said:
I also don't see the "scratches/fungus" you are talking about. Though that is one nice looking sully!

Thanks he is a fantastic little guy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.