Lines on his shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidinabstract

5 Year Member
Hi, guys! I haven't been on in a while, but I'm a little concerned about my sulcata.

A little about him. His name is Doughnut. He's a few days over a year and a half since he finished hatching (42 hour hatch, two days hatched before he ate his first solid food, so I got him pretty early) and his carapace is almost five inches long.

He's on a regular diet of bermuda and centipede grass, Nature Zone tortoise bites (his favorite) and some romaine, endive and a tiny bit of baby spinach once in a while.

He gets soaked for half an hour in warm water 2-4 times a week (I work and have college, so sometimes I forget to soak him). He has a UVB bulb (zoomed) a heat lamp and a night time lamp that he's sharing with his new neighbor (a baby three-toed box turtle that lives in a separate tank). I do handle him regularly and he comes when he's called. He gets plenty of exercise, though not always outside because we get a lot of rain.

His enclosure is a 25 gallon terrarium with tall sides. The bottom is covered thickly in rabbit food so he can dig and scoot around without me worrying about him eating sand. He has a half log in there that he sleeps in. I do try and keep a little bit of moist sphagnum in his sleep area, but he always seems to push it out in a tortoisy fit of rage. (I don't think he likes the idea of sharing his space). His enclosure is cleaned regularly and the litter gets changed completely every couple months.

His poop and pee are normal and he doesn't strain to get anything out.

Here's my concern. I had him outside about an hour ago and, in the light of the Sun, I noticed some spiraling designs on his plastron. They aren't symmetrical, and they almost look like little tunnels just under the surface of his shell. They aren't raised at all, an he hasn't been acting strangely. He basks and sleep and eat totally normally and he still asks to be pet when I take him out. I noticed them on the pale parts of the dorsal side of his shell as well, almost like a really lazy circle around the brown dots. I tried taking a picture, but I don't know how well some of you can see it.

Can any if you tell me what it is and if I should be concerned like I am, now? The only reptile vet is in Petsmart and I guess I can trust them, but I'm hesitant because they weren't very nice the last time I used them.

The pictures are attached. Hopefully everyone can see them. Hopefully I'm being a goof about this and it's nothing. I know these guys are sturdy, but I'm always super careful with any babies I get and I worry over anything I'm not familiar with.

Also, the side of his shell got soft about a year ago when I used the wrong light in his enclosure. His shell is nice and firm, now and it has no areas that are really raised.

If there's anything else you need to know, tell me! I'll be happy to post any additional info on him!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1379896507067.jpg
    1379896507067.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 1379896521174.jpg
    1379896521174.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 1379896531353.jpg
    1379896531353.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 1379896540503.jpg
    1379896540503.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 1379896554406.jpg
    1379896554406.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 53

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everything looks very good and normal. Nothing to worry about. I don't remember why they are there, but lots of torts have them and they are nothing to worry about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Those squiggly lines are normal. They are more apparent after a soak.

While you are housing your tortoise in the typical conventional way, we have learned much better ways to do it over the last few years. Sulcatas hatch during the African rainy season. They are not desert animals and they need it warm and humid. Click the links in my signature for more info.

kidinabstract

5 Year Member
Thanks, guys! You put a momma's heart at ease! Lol. I will definitely take a look, Tom. I appreciate all your help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1379900470047.jpg
    1379900470047.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 29

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Please read Tom's threads he knows his stuff. My tort. is nice and smooth thanks to Tom.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1379900629435.jpg
    1379900629435.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.