Sulcata diet

William reyes

Location (City and/or State)
Riverside co Ca
Hello I would like to know what other people feed there sulcata I give mine romaine and grass but wanna make sure I'm not doing something wrong he eats a lot 65lbs u know there's a diet sheet just wanna see what other people give there's daily thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At that size he is ready to start on grass hay. I prefer orchard grass hay or bermuda hay. Start by just using a little sprinkled on top of his other food and/or feeding his regualr foods on a bed of grass hay. It may take weeks or months before he will start eating dry hay, but it will be sooooooo worth it when he does.

Make sure fresh clean drinking water is always available when feeding hay, and regular soaks are not a bad idea either in hot weather.

Here are some other ideas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
You can skip the text of this link, but check out the list of good stuff. Sounds like your tortoise could use more variety.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Mine grazes freely in planted garden trays in his enclosure and outside in his "playpen" area so I can't say what he eats on a daily basis, all I can tell you is that he eats constantly from the list below and at times seems to have distinct preferences (lately it's clover).
We rarely cut up /pick food and give it to him, and when we do he tends to ignore it. We do have hay available, but so far he still isn't showing much interest in it, but he's just a little guy right now (13 months).

In no particular order, with weeds and grass as the bulk of it:
At least 10 different types of grasses including catgrass, bermuda, at least 3 types of fescue, ryegrass, chia, buffalo, timothy, crab.....I know I am forgetting a few...
Dandelion
Clover (3 kinds)
Opuntia (prickly pear cactus)
Mustard greens
Grape leaves
Leaf lettuce
Strawberry plants
Hibiscus
Aloe
Mallow
Mesclun
Roses
Thyme
African Violet
Cilantro
Mint
Geraniums
Yarrow
Nasturtiums
Chicory
Plantain
Petunia
Spiderplant
Christmas cactus
Zinnia
Hens and chicks
Carrot (@ once a month)
Mazuri (both types) maybe a few times a month.
I know there is more but that is all I can think of at the moment.

Things I have planted that haven't come up yet or aren't big enough to unleash him upon, some of which he has had in the past I just haven't grown lately:
Swiss Chard
Spinach
Kale
Squash plants
Agave
Daylily
Mulberry
Chrysanthemum
Purslane
Additional types of plantain
Violas

They say variety is best.....