Sulcata brumate ??

Celiagg

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello again!
I’ve read sulcatas do not brumate. Is this true? I have found mine to be burrowing quite a bit but he also is active, eating well, and hydrated. I’m changing my hydrometer to a new one as maybe this isn’t working but i hope the temp in his enclosure is within limits for him. Any ideas or thoughts if they brumate.
Thanks

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello again!
I’ve read sulcatas do not brumate. Is this true? I have found mine to be burrowing quite a bit but he also is active, eating well, and hydrated. I’m changing my hydrometer to a new one as maybe this isn’t working but i hope the temp in his enclosure is within limits for him. Any ideas or thoughts if they brumate.
Thanks
Hi! Sulcatas do not brumate. Even in very cold climates with snow on the ground, they're out and about.

This is one of the reasons that they require a heated night box.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello again!
Thanks
They do not brumate. They must be kept warm all year long with a heated and well insulated shelter.

At this time of year you have to stop them from burrowing and keep them above ground and make them sleep in their heated night box.

Here is an example: