Conflicting Brumation Advice

izzybizzy89

Location (City and/or State)
Kent, UK
Hello
I posted a few days ago asking for feedback for my tortoise's outdoor enclosure. Thank you again to everyone who responded.

I have been thinking ahead to the upcoming brumation period. Sidney is around 50-70 years old per the vet's approximation and is a Mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise. We are in southeast England for reference.

I got her from a colleague whose family had her for the last 40 or so years. They would always brumate her for around 5 months in their airing cupboard in their house, which I know is too long of a period and far too warm. I've been told instead to brumate for around 12-16 weeks and average temp at 7 degrees.

The exotic vet advised keeping her awake since this is the first winter we have her, but he did say that she is at a good weight for her size (about 24 cm long). The second winter to only let her brumate for 3 weeks. I read on the Tortoise Trust website similar advice of not brumating the first year. If she is in good health and at a good weight, why should we not let her brumate as nature intended? The amount of information is dizzying and honestly quite overwhelmed by it all.

Thanks so much for any advice. A picture of the little dear is attached.

Attachments

• IMG-20230708-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20230708-WA0000.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello
I posted a few days ago asking for feedback for my tortoise's outdoor enclosure. Thank you again to everyone who responded.

I have been thinking ahead to the upcoming brumation period. Sidney is around 50-70 years old per the vet's approximation and is a Mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise. We are in southeast England for reference.

I got her from a colleague whose family had her for the last 40 or so years. They would always brumate her for around 5 months in their airing cupboard in their house, which I know is too long of a period and far too warm. I've been told instead to brumate for around 12-16 weeks and average temp at 7 degrees.

The exotic vet advised keeping her awake since this is the first winter we have her, but he did say that she is at a good weight for her size (about 24 cm long). The second winter to only let her brumate for 3 weeks. I read on the Tortoise Trust website similar advice of not brumating the first year. If she is in good health and at a good weight, why should we not let her brumate as nature intended? The amount of information is dizzying and honestly quite overwhelmed by it all.

Thanks so much for any advice. A picture of the little dear is attached.
I'm very glad you asked! You will be too.

Read this one first to gain context into why you are getting so much conflicting info, and to get the correct info:

Then read this one for the correct brumation info:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, forget the tortoise trust, not the best info. Also, most vets have no clue about tortoises, however yours so far isn't too far off
We do usually recommend keeping them up the first year in your care. We do this so you get to know your tortoise and recognize any problems that you hay not notice without a full year of the seasons.
This doesn't mean you have too. If you feel you know your tort and it's healthy, etc, then brumate if you want
Please follow Toms threads if you do though.