Suitable for outside enclosure?

Teacup

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I am in the planning stages of getting a tortoise. Since I live in sunny Georgia (currently; we'll likely be moving again in 1-2 years), I am going to set up the outside enclosure first and then focus on the indoor one.

I found a 110 gallon tub from Tractor Supply that I hope will make a good base for my enclosure. The plan is to make some kind of lid for it to keep out wild animals and, worst case scenario, anyone who breaks into our yard.

Do you think this would be okay for a smaller species like a Greek or Russian? Or do I need something bigger?

TIA!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-tank-110-gal

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think a "tub" would be appropriate for outdoors. I'm just guessing, but I think it would be too hot in a tub/trough. It is very easy to throw something together outside. Don't spend all those $$$ on a trough. Buy some cinder blocks and put together a space for the tortoise. Then bring him in at night and put him back out in the morning.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree with Yvonne. Besides, those tubs do not have as much floor space as you'd think. The measurements are for the top of the tub, which is wider than the bottom.

Teacup

Georgia
Okay, thank you both! I will start drawing up some plans for the outside enclosure today. :) My husband is going to help me build it, thankfully, since I have NO experience. We are thinking a big single level for the outside and a smart looking two level inside.

Teacup

Georgia
Another question: because I am renting currently, I don't know how the lawn/ground was treated over the years so I am not comfortable letting my future tort eat the grass/weeds in my yard. For the outside enclosure, would a tarp base (stapled to the outside of the enclosure) work with substrate on top? Or would it be better to use stone/tile before adding substrate? I realise I need something that allows drainage but nothing so flimsy that the tort can dig down and get to the lawn.

abclements

5 Year Member
How long have you lived there? If you have lived there for a year or so and know for a fact that nothng bad has been put on your lawn, it is totally fine for you to use your lawn as a base.

Teacup

Georgia
How long have you lived there? If you have lived there for a year or so and know for a fact that nothng bad has been put on your lawn, it is totally fine for you to use your lawn as a base.

We've been here for 8 months, though it will be closer to a year when we are actually all set up and ready for a tort so maybe it will be okay. :) We do not use any kind of chemicals in our yard.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Goo luck getting everything put together. I fell into caring for
My Russian Lou and I couldn't be happier with my little guy. I'm sure you will love your future tort as much as I love Lou. I hope it all works out for you. This forum is a great place to get any and all questions answered. Don't ever worry any question is too asinine I've asked plenty of sill questions and I have always received help.

LoutheRussian

Last edited:

abclements

5 Year Member
We've been here for 8 months, though it will be closer to a year when we are actually all set up and ready for a tort so maybe it will be okay. :) We do not use any kind of chemicals in our yard.

Yup, you should be golden then! Maybe dig up part of your grass and plant some weeds or a tort seed mix from carolina pet supply for your tort and you'll be set!

Teacup

Georgia
Goo luck getting everything put together. I fell into caring for
My Russian Lou and I couldn't be happier with my little guy. I'm sure you will love your future tort as much as I love Lou. I hope it all works out for you. This forum is a great place to get any and all questions answered. Don't ever worry any question is too asinine I've asked plenty of sill questions and I have always received help.

LoutheRussian

Thank you! That is very kind of you to say. :) I know I will have so many questions!

abclements said:
Yup, you should be golden then! Maybe dig up part of your grass and plant some weeds or a tort seed mix from carolina pet supply for your tort and you'll be set!

Great! I actually have started growing some greens (and have a tort mix on the way) in a large container so I can transplant them into the enclosure when they're bigger. :)

The ground here is quite thick with red clay. Do you think if I dug down a bit and put a layer of gravel down before putting a thick layer of suitable substrate that it will drain better? We are going to set the enclosure on top of a sloped area, too, to make sure no rain water pools in that area.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
I am in the planning stages of getting a tortoise. Since I live in sunny Georgia (currently; we'll likely be moving again in 1-2 years), I am going to set up the outside enclosure first and then focus on the indoor one.

I found a 110 gallon tub from Tractor Supply that I hope will make a good base for my enclosure. The plan is to make some kind of lid for it to keep out wild animals and, worst case scenario, anyone who breaks into our yard.

Do you think this would be okay for a smaller species like a Greek or Russian? Or do I need something bigger?

TIA!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-tank-110-gal

Hi,
I'm in GA as well. About 40 min north of Atlanta. Here is an enclosure I built last year for my tortoises outside. It may help you some, I'm not sure. I wanted mine raised off the ground because of drainage. We get so much rain here in GA. Good luck with new tortoise. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosure-for-stars.74764/

Teacup

Georgia
Hi,
I'm in GA as well. About 40 min north of Atlanta. Here is an enclosure I built last year for my tortoises outside. It may help you some, I'm not sure. I wanted mine raised off the ground because of drainage. We get so much rain here in GA. Good luck with new tortoise. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosure-for-stars.74764/

That is very helpful, thank you! I never thought of raising the outside enclosure but that is a great idea. :) And your tortoises are so beautiful!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Teacup

Georgia