Suggestions on my enclosure.

Xavier

I have just made plans to water seal and put a bigger sheet of tarp under the entire enclosure to make a hot/humid chamber and take out the carpet. Light on the left is mercury vapor bulb and the strip is a regular aquarium strip light. In the back a hide with 2-3 inches of soil and moss. Anything I need to had let me know! :)

Attachments

• 1405002668828.jpg
    1405002668828.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 43

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you going to put the soil and moss all over the whole enclosure? They should have something other then just plastic or carpets to walk on like the soil, or coconut coir.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, don't forget night heat. A humid hide needs to stay at 80 and not lower. Hot and humid, not cold and humid.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He should have it dark at night. A ceramic heat emitter is good for this. Gives off heat but no light. They are cheap and last a long time.

Xavier

Okay. I have one but unfortunately it doesn't get hot enough so that's why that bulb is in there. I will buy 2 more in a bigger wattage for night when I redo the enclosure.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Definitely take out the carpets and add a substrate. Coco coir (Eco Earth), organic topsoil, cypress mulch, and fir bark (reptibark or fine grade orchid bark) are all popular choices. You can also use a mixture of some of these. Sphagnum moss is also good as a "topper" and they love to dig in it. :)

CHE for night time and MVB for daytime are good as long as you can get appropriate temps. That strip light won't do anything for the tort, that's more for "looks."

Adding plants (real edible ones or plastic/silk) are good too. Real ones will give your tort something to nibble on, help keep up humidity by watering...fake ones or real ones will also provide sight barriers to help keep Petre stimulated and make him feel his habitat is bigger.

Xavier

The strip is strictly for just light. It was to dark in the middle. It will be taken out when I create the hot/humid chamber. Thank you for your help. :) I have a giant spider plant I will be taking a quarter from the host plant and putting it into the enclosure. I have looked on tortoise table and have a list of plants I want to plant in there. Thanks again :)