Suggestions for adding humidity to outdoor enclosure

Jenna524

Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
We made one of @Tom ‘s outdoor enclosures for our Sulcata, Toki. It has worked wonderfully all winter, keeping things warm and safe. The wood floor is covered with dirt from the yard. It has a pig mat for heat on the bottom, and the warmer on top. We have set up water containers towards the top of the enclosure where Toki can’t bother them.

We can’t seem to get more than about 40% humidity, and it averages closer to 31% humidity. Any suggestions on increasing the humidity in his box? Also, I soak him about once a week. Is that enough?

Attachments

• DED0FEF0-D38F-4DF2-90C2-97383A5E2AB6.jpeg
    DED0FEF0-D38F-4DF2-90C2-97383A5E2AB6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use overhead misting heads. But any sprinkler heads also work.
You can just screw a $5 sprinkler onto a hose and let it run for 20 minutes to get everything nice and damp and as it evaporates you'll get your humidity.
That ambient humidity should help inside the box

Attachments

• 20220224_143056.jpg
    20220224_143056.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 9

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
How are you measuring it? Is it a good Accurite thermometer/hygrometer? Did it ever get wet? I have had one of the Accurites get a little wet once, and then it always read about 10% lower humidity than other meters.

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
How are you measuring it? Is it a good Accurite thermometer/hygrometer? Did it ever get wet? I have had one of the Accurites get a little wet once, and then it always read about 10% lower humidity than other meters.
We’ve been using a digital thermometer that tracks the temperature and the humidity. It’s all encased in a Tupperware on the wall in the house. It has never gotten wet to my knowledge. We leave the house door open during the day, and close the door at night. Heater stays on all day. (When summer heat comes, we’ll turn it off. )

Attachments

• 2F7398DC-BFFF-4131-A810-1AD8FA00E15C.png
    2F7398DC-BFFF-4131-A810-1AD8FA00E15C.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 8

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
If the hygrometer is encased inside the tupperware, it is most likely not giving an accurate representation of the humidity inside the box. This would probably work OK for temperature, but a humidity sensor needs to be in the open air of whatever you're trying to measure. I believe the point of the tupperware is to keep everything dry. I would place the sensor in the main box area and see what you measure tonight.

Second, I once bought an Inkbird wifi humidity sensor and it was not accurate at all. It read 20% or more lower than other sensors I had. There was even a way to offset the humidity in the app, but even then it would not track or read accurately compared to a cheap Accurite thermometer/hygrometer. Compare your sensor to one of these:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I realize that I am no expert...but that never stopped me be fore. What does your tort weigh? Frankly with your setup and his access to outside, I wouldn't worry about humidity. If he never got out of that box, that would be different. Here again is just what I would do, but I'd make a permanent water source for soaking, keep it filled for him and teach him to go in and out. He's outside now, it's a different game, and no, once a week soaking is not enuf. That's why I suggest a soaking drinking place....
This is a badly pyramided female who was damaged by the time I got her. Before her I had a large male 100+ pounds and my friend and I dug a hole for him and filled it with water. That tort died in surgery and that hole became a pond and pen for a buncha box turtles...My tort is Mary Knobbins, and she has a habit of knocking over the cinder-block wall of her pen and soaking in the box turtle pond. There is probably something wrong with it but you wouldn't think so when it's 105 and you and the tort are sitting in that pond cooling off. It's one of my most favorite things to do in the summer.100_5049.JPG
100_5048.JPG

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I realize that I am no expert...but that never stopped me be fore. What does your tort weigh? Frankly with your setup and his access to outside, I wouldn't worry about humidity. If he never got out of that box, that would be different. Here again is just what I would do, but I'd make a permanent water source for soaking, keep it filled for him and teach him to go in and out. He's outside now, it's a different game, and no, once a week soaking is not enuf. That's why I suggest a soaking drinking place....
This is a badly pyramided female who was damaged by the time I got her. Before her I had a large male 100+ pounds and my friend and I dug a hole for him and filled it with water. That tort died in surgery and that hole became a pond and pen for a buncha box turtles...My tort is Mary Knobbins, and she has a habit of knocking over the cinder-block wall of her pen and soaking in the box turtle pond. There is probably something wrong with it but you wouldn't think so when it's 105 and you and the tort are sitting in that pond cooling off. It's one of my most favorite things to do in the summer.View attachment 342372
View attachment 342373
How deep is it? Is the bottom just dirt? What’s growing in it? I want to build one for Dexter this summer, he is 35 pounds and we are in South Carolina. Hot summers!!
It looks like a great pond, I’d really like to pick your brain for details.
Thanks Maggie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We made one of @Tom ‘s outdoor enclosures for our Sulcata, Toki. It has worked wonderfully all winter, keeping things warm and safe. The wood floor is covered with dirt from the yard. It has a pig mat for heat on the bottom, and the warmer on top. We have set up water containers towards the top of the enclosure where Toki can’t bother them.

We can’t seem to get more than about 40% humidity, and it averages closer to 31% humidity. Any suggestions on increasing the humidity in his box? Also, I soak him about once a week. Is that enough?
It looks awesome.

Unfortunately, the only way to keep humidity up inside the box would be to water proof it with Pond Shield, and then use damp substrate. You can't do that with the Kane mat though.

It also looks like the door is much bigger than it needs to be. If you retro-fit an "L" shaped piece of plywood to cover up some of the door area, it will hold in more of your heat and humidity. As your tortoise grows, you can enlarge the opening as needed until you reach the full door size the you have now.

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
We’ve been using a digital thermometer that tracks the temperature and the humidity. It’s all encased in a Tupperware on the wall in the house. It has never gotten wet to my knowledge. We leave the house door open during the day, and close the door at night. Heater stays on all day. (When summer heat comes, we’ll turn it off. )
If the hygrometer is encased inside the tupperware, it is most likely not giving an accurate representation of the humidity inside the box. This would probably work OK for temperature, but a humidity sensor needs to be in the open air of whatever you're trying to measure. I believe the point of the tupperware is to keep everything dry. I would place the sensor in the main box area and see what you measure tonight.

Second, I once bought an Inkbird wifi humidity sensor and it was not accurate at all. It read 20% or more lower than other sensors I had. There was even a way to offset the humidity in the app, but even then it would not track or read accurately compared to a cheap Accurite thermometer/hygrometer. Compare your sensor to one of these:

Thanks for the ideas! (I confirmed with my husband that our thermometer is inside the Tupperware box, but the hygrometer is on the wall out of reach inside the house not in the box.)

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
This is a badly pyramided female who was damaged by the time I got her. Before her I had a large male 100+ pounds and my friend and I dug a hole for him and filled it with water. That tort died in surgery and that hole became a pond and pen for a buncha box turtles...My tort is Mary Knobbins, and she has a habit of knocking over the cinder-block wall of her pen and soaking in the box turtle pond. There is probably something wrong with it but you wouldn't think so when it's 105 and you and the tort are sitting in that pond cooling off. It's one of my most favorite things to do in the summer.View attachment 342372
View attachment 342373
This looks great! I love that Mary Knobbins will go inside and “swim”. We have a water heater pan available to Toki at all times. But he has never once stepped in it or drank from it to my knowledge. I’ve even floated his favorite flowers in there and he ignores it. How did you get yours to want to go in the water? I’m tempted to make a little pond like yours just cause it’s so cool! What are the odds my Toki will never use a pond when he won’t use a pan already?

And I think I will try and add more soaks to the week. Especially with warmer weather ahead.

Attachments

• C5BEF6D2-EF33-42FE-A9B8-3119B4D799E7.jpeg
    C5BEF6D2-EF33-42FE-A9B8-3119B4D799E7.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
It looks awesome.

Unfortunately, the only way to keep humidity up inside the box would be to water proof it with Pond Shield, and then use damp substrate. You can't do that with the Kane mat though.

It also looks like the door is much bigger than it needs to be. If you retro-fit an "L" shaped piece of plywood to cover up some of the door area, it will hold in more of your heat and humidity. As your tortoise grows, you can enlarge the opening as needed until you reach the full door size the you have now.
Yes, we have thought about pond Shield, but it didn’t seem to work with the whole idea. I’ve thought about dampening the dirt, but you’re right, electricity and water don’t mix.

😂 Yeah, we made the door size for the long haul. Good idea with the L shape. Heat and humidity would be the same either way at night when we close the door. But during the day it would help when the door is open.

Reactions: Tom

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
How deep is it? Is the bottom just dirt? What’s growing in it? I want to build one for Dexter this summer, he is 35 pounds and we are in South Carolina. Hot summers!!
It looks like a great pond, I’d really like to pick your brain for details.
Thanks Maggie
My friend and I dug the 'pond' , then lined it with cement...but for some reason Bob wouldn't go in after it was cemented, why, I don't have a clue.So after a couple of weeks without him going in, I used a sledgehammer and broke up the cement, now it is just dirt and wild grasses. I can stand in the middle and it is knee high to me...it holds the water good enuf throughout the day...and I love sitting on the bank, with my legs in the water. Mary doesn't care, but the box turtles get fascinated by me sitting there....this is my tort shed and the pond is on the right where the blocks are curved....you can just see part of it...
100_1893.JPG

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

Since we are talking of an outside enclosure, I think if I lived in dry California I would set a water sprinkler on a timer & have it mist the area a few times per day. I used to have a drip irrigation set up here around all my fig trees & was able to regulate the type of “spray” head. Our Sully realized that this water sprayed on a regular basis & would routinely linger waiting to be sprayed.

So, rather than sogging down your enclosure, I would mist the areas where your tort hangs out.

Now, picture this with your tortoise enjoying the the increased humidity.
Ps - I’m not advocating wasting water, a nice misting spray a few times per day - not a flood. 😃

880EDF11-FC8D-435E-A58D-BA375CBB056F.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Greetings.

Since we are talking of an outside enclosure, I think if I lived in dry California I would set a water sprinkler on a timer & have it mist the area a few times per day. I used to have a drip irrigation set up here around all my fig trees & was able to regulate the type of “spray” head. Our Sully realized that this water sprayed on a regular basis & would routinely linger waiting to be sprayed.

So, rather than sogging down your enclosure, I would mist the areas where your tort hangs out.

Ps - I’m not advocating wasting water, a nice misting spray a few times per day - not a flood. 😃

View attachment 342390
That's a great idea right there...

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
Greetings.

View attachment 342390
Great idea! (What an oasis!) Yes, drought and water regulations are a thing here, but there might be something with mist I could figure out. Thanks!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Great idea! (What an oasis!) Yes, drought and water regulations are a thing here, but there might be something with mist I could figure out. Thanks!

Check out something like this. Very easy to install. A nice water timer as well is what makes these things so nice.

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
Check out something like this. Very easy to install. A nice water timer as well is what makes these things so nice.

Thanks!