Sugarloaf Desert tortoise Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Anyone located in Arizona or willing to drive to central Arizona? I will be participating in the Desert Tortoise survey in the Sugarloaf Mountain area.

Sugarloaf Desert tortoise Survey

When: We are looking for volunteers to help us survey for desert tortoises during a 2-day trip on Thursday-Friday October 15 & 16.

Where: The AZGFD Turtles Project has been monitoring the desert tortoise population at Sugarloaf Mountain, about 40 miles northeast of Phoenix in Tonto National Forest, for almost 20 years. Volunteer participation is welcome.

Description: Meet us on Thursday afternoon at Sugarloaf for an evening herp hike and a cookout, then camp out on site that night, and wake up early Friday morning for our desert tortoise survey, which will start around 7 am and last till about 11 am (depending on weather conditions). You are also welcome to join us just for the tortoise survey on Friday morning as well. We will provide cookout food (i.e., hamburgers/hotdogs) but ask that volunteers staying for dinner bring a side dish.
You will need to bring your own camping gear, breakfast for Friday morning, and water for hiking. We will have a few flashlights for volunteers to borrow for Thursday night, but if you have your own, bring one. Other items to bring, if you have them: a GPS unit, camera, any walkie-talkies for communicating among survey teams (although we have a limited supply to loan to volunteers).
The hiking at Sugarloaf can be strenuous because of the hills and boulders, so we ask that volunteers for this project be at least 18 years old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wish I were closer. I'd love to join you in that endeavor. My kind of thing!! Another thing to bring is a mirror. They're great for shining the sun down into a burrow.

Yvonne

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
I wish I were closer. I'd love to join you in that endeavor. My kind of thing!! Another thing to bring is a mirror. They're great for shining the sun down into a burrow.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne! I never thought of that. I usually just bring a flashlight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
gummybearpoop said:
Thanks Yvonne! I never thought of that. I usually just bring a flashlight.

A mirror works way better than a flashlight.

Yvonne

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Can this thread be moved to the "Tortoise & Reptile Events" section please? Thanks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
gummybearpoop said:
Can this thread be moved to the "Tortoise & Reptile Events" section please? Thanks.
There ya go. :)

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks!

Jacqui, you and your hubby should come down!

You can feel some 90-100 degree heat in October!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D If we are in the area and have the time I would love to join in...of course you would have to check my pockets before I leave the area. :D Plus is there room for the semitruck?

AZ is normally just for teams and currently I am still out on medical issues...now they want me to do a sleep apnea test. Not required by DOT, I have no symtoms of problems except for being fat, but PRIME wants it done, so they want me to spend $275 to take the test. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.