Subtrate for a Sulcata?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wexican

5 Year Member
I was reading about a substrate called Eco Earth Loose coconut Fiber by Zoo Med.

I have seen on this site that coconut fiber is a good substate.

I was wondering if anyone has used this and is it a good product?

Or any other ideas?

We were told to use rabbit food until we got a better substrate for our hatchling.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
I use it, Just add a third of play sand. Helps hold it together for traction. Also moisten the enclosure once a week to keep the humidity to around 75%. Its also good for them to keep it fairly deep. They love to burrow in it.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
And stay away from Rabbit pellets. They are really high in protein, which is bad for a herbivorous species IF ingested, they also provide low traction, and mold really quickly.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Yeah pellets are awful. Plus they literally suck the humidity and water out of the air and your tort. Especially babies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I've use it loose but I prefer it in the brick. more of it it seems and defientely easier to store. But technically the same stuff.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The stuff in the bags is much larger particles too. Great product. Lots of us here use it. You can buy it in bulk online and save a lot of money the more bricks you buy.

Other ideas are Cyprus Mulch, Orchid Bark, and Organic Potting Soil. The soil could also be mixed with less than half play sand, as the coconut coir. Moist substrates are typically recommended for growing Sulcatas because humidity helps prevent pyramiding.

In the very short term, I personally think paper towels or newspaper is actually a tad better, although none are even close to ideal. You can pick up one brick of the coconut coir for a small fortune at a pet store until you can order some online for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.