Substrates for radiated tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Hello everyone, what are the best substrates for radiated tortoises? Its for an indoor enclosure.

Humidity's good here too, so I need not mist or wet the substrates.

What are my options for something that's mold, bacteria and smell resistant?

Many thanks~

(Currently using newspapers and Zoomed's Eco reptile carpet.)

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Everyone is recommending cypress mulch, I can't find it in Canada, so I'm using Repti Bark by Zoomed.
I still have problem with keeping the humidity up though... Humidity in my place is around 25-35% in winter.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I would recommend a 60/40 mix of topsoil and play sand. This substrate won't smell, mold, or bloom with bacteria. In addition, it also allows burrowing and microclimates (which is very important), offers very good "cushioning", allows thermoregulation, and finally is inexpensive and easy to make.
Cypress mulch won't provide a lot of microclimate access and may also get moldy if saturated. Cypress mulch is good for an additive, but not for a substrate.

I would just go with the topsoil/play sand mix with a bit of cypress mulch on top for some variety.

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
You will find people have their own preference. I initially tried 60/40 soil/sand mix but found that the sand would get into their food and would also not mix well with the soil and after a while would be at the bottom of the enclosure. You can get cypress mulch in Ontario at reptile stores (i.e. Big Als) but it is very expensive. Coconut coir is better than Repti-bark for keeping in moisture/humidity. Right now I use Aspen on one side and coconut coir/bed-a-beast on the other side with cypress mulch on top. I find that the coir/cypress holds the moisture.

There is no smell or mold here.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Thanks for your input guys. As it's already humid here, I doubt I'd want anything that holds moisture well, bacteria would flourish otherwise. What u guys rec for such a case? Bark? Corn cobs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
corn cob might cause impaction.

Can you use the native soil?

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Eucalyptus mulch can also be used, with sphagnum moss

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
JourneyTort said:
You will find people have their own preference. I initially tried 60/40 soil/sand mix but found that the sand would get into their food and would also not mix well with the soil and after a while would be at the bottom of the enclosure. You can get cypress mulch in Ontario at reptile stores (i.e. Big Als) but it is very expensive. Coconut coir is better than Repti-bark for keeping in moisture/humidity. Right now I use Aspen on one side and coconut coir/bed-a-beast on the other side with cypress mulch on top. I find that the coir/cypress holds the moisture.

There is no smell or mold here.

For the sand getting into the food, feeding on a dish and using a very high fibre diet would solve the problem. As for the soil problem, maybe turn the mix to a 50/50 mix of play sand and topsoil? I would think that the even amounts of sand will "cushion" the soil, making it easier to mix. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.