Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Joliet,IL
What kind is best to use? I have plenty of cypress mulch but wouldn't mind something different. I will be getting my 1st Hermanns next week :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I love the coconut coir. Holds moisture really well and won't mold, and does not cause impaction that I have ever heard of.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
How is that sold? All I ever see are the bags of coconut fiber, I've seen the little bricks but they call it something else

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
The bricks are called "tropical soil", I believe. And the bags & bricks are all I have see as well. When I finally get my enclosure going I am going to do a mix of top soil and peat moss, I believe. I have used the Coco Coir in the past though (for my Tarantula) and I did like it quite a lot. I just think it would be awfully expensive to do a larger enclosure with.

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
I have had very bad luck with the bricks of coco husk by Zoo-med. I stopped using them due to the rapid mite infestation, well under normal time frame for changing bedding. Cypress seems to mold or get "pokey bits" that worry me. (After three days in my pre-made bucket a mushroom grew so I tossed it) I've had good luck with soil but after the mite scare, I always bake it before I use it as what I can get is made by the same company.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
Has anyone used the coconut fiber? I'm thinking I will use that and a small topsoil mix

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Snapper925 said:
Has anyone used the coconut fiber? I'm thinking I will use that and a small topsoil mix

I use the coir by itself. A friend of mine has a Hermann's too and he's used coir for years without any trouble. Just get the bricks, you get more for your money that way.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
Are coir and the fiber the same things? All I can ever find is fiber?
I did a little scouting at the stores nearby and the bricks are definitely the better buy!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.