Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
I was wondering if it would b ok to put organic soil as a substrate for a hatchling mixed with moss. I have a red foot tortoise n well I thought maybe with the soil the humidity would rise a little n also stay a little more moist let me know wat u think so I can change my substrate thanks in advance

Attachments

• image-2850989009.png
    image-2850989009.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I use ~2 inches of organic soil as my substrate base, then have ~2 inches of cypress mulch on top. Nothing wrong with organic topsoil!

I've probably mentioned this far too much, but I run a heat rope under my substrate to boost humidity and have the top enclosed (Acrylic plexiglass) to seal it in.

Heat rope:
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I also see no problem with it. I use it with my box turtles and my Hermann's...

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Just make sure it does not have any kind of fertilizer in it. Look on the back of the bag and it will tell you.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
Well I don't think it has any chemicals but is it ok if it's potting soil or does it have to be organic ground soil?

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Needs to be organic. Potting soil usually has additives that are good for plants but not for torts. I put miracle grow peat moss thinking it was just peat moss. It was not, it had other stuff in it and I suspect that is why she passed away. Believe me, you don't want that feeling that you failed your tort... At any rate, just straight up dirt is good :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
The problem with potting soil is that most of them have perlite in them.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
So what kind of soil should I use? N does it have to b organic or can it b just regular soil?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
For young tortoises I use a mix of about 60-70% organic potting or top soil with 20-30% coconut coir and the rest ground leaves and sphagnum moss. This combination retains moisture well without having to be wet. At about 2" deep it also provides a fairly solid surface for good footing but can also be dug into by babies. I spray it twice daily and once a week saturate and churn it well. If spot cleaned regularly (as any should be), this substrate will last many, many years without having to be replaced too.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
dalano73 said:
The problem with potting soil is that most of them have perlite in them.

Thank you Dmarcus, I could not think of what the chemical was called. Just look for it on the bag.. It will tell you.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
Ok thanks I think I will change the substrate to like 70% soil n 30% moss u think that would b ok

Status
Not open for further replies.