Substrate

BowzerMom0424

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Hello! Day 4 over here, just trying to get everything our Russian needs. We currently have Repi bark but he tries to dig a lot in his enclosure so we also got some compressed coconut fiber. Do you suggest we mix them? Or the fiber on the bottom? Are they both safe to for Russians? Thank you!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Both good for Russians. It's entirely up to you whether you would like to use one or mix them.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you found the Caresheet for Russians yet? That may help. I know they like to dig so it needs to be deep enough and I believe something you can keep moist - but the caresheet will tell you more.

Russians are also great climbers so make sure your enclosure sides and corners are tort proof!!!

If you post some pics of your enclosure and lamps etc members can help you make it a safe and happy home for your tort.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I like the repti bark but more important my little Russian does. I did mix coco coir with it. And yes I have a monkey that looks like a rock most of the time...until he's trying the great escape.?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Hello! Day 4 over here, just trying to get everything our Russian needs. We currently have Repi bark but he tries to dig a lot in his enclosure so we also got some compressed coconut fiber. Do you suggest we mix them? Or the fiber on the bottom? Are they both safe to for Russians? Thank you!!
Yes! Coconut fiber in the bottom reptile bark in the top. Try putting about 4-5 inches to dig.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no reason to mix them, but you can if you want to. It won't hurt anything.

Coco coir is the best substrate for baby Testudo tortoises, and fine grade orchid bark is best for adults.

You can get either much cheaper from a garden center than you can at the pet store.

BowzerMom0424

Nevada
I like the repti bark but more important my little Russian does. I did mix coco coir with it. And yes I have a monkey that looks like a rock most of the time...until he's trying the great escape.?
Thank you!!! I'm going to try that too!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you!!! I'm going to try that too!
My tortoise is older and that mix works works for him. He likes it mixed with the bark throughout. I'm not sure about babies though. So the better thing would be whatever experienced members recommend on the care threads for a Russian baby. I'll be thinking of you.☺?