Substrate

Aaron23

5 Year Member
What's the best substrate that i can buy in bulk that holds humidity good for indoors?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Peat moss is good and super cheap, coco coir, orchid bark, and cypress mulch. You can buy all of these in bulk at garden centers.

Helyun

Deland Fl
The bark and mulch have those bugs in them, so be prepared to battle them if you choose to use them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The bark and mulch have those bugs in them, so be prepared to battle them if you choose to use them.
Actually, the bugs come from the environment and simply colonize the substrate. The same factors that make the substrate a good place for your tortoise to live, also make it a good place for the bugs to live.

What alternative do you propose?

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Actually, the bugs come from the environment and simply colonize the substrate. The same factors that make the substrate a good place for your tortoise to live, also make it a good place for the bugs to live.

What alternative do you propose?

I just noticed those little flying bugs a few days ago, almost too small to see, we’ve had Daisy since 3/28/2018 ... does that mean it’s a good environment? She’s gained .25 ounces in 2 weeks. Is that a good weight gain?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just noticed those little flying bugs a few days ago, almost too small to see, we’ve had Daisy since 3/28/2018 ... does that mean it’s a good environment? She’s gained .25 ounces in 2 weeks. Is that a good weight gain?
What species? How much did she weigh before gaining the .25 ounces?

Having detrivorous bugs show up means the environment is good for them.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
What species? How much did she weigh before gaining the .25 ounces?

Having detrivorous bugs show up means the environment is good for them.

Sulcata and was told she was 6 months old, but shouldn’t she be bigger at 6 months? Started at 2 ounces now 2.25

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcata and was told she was 6 months old, but shouldn’t she be bigger at 6 months? Started at 2 ounces now 2.25
Yes. Should be bigger at 6 months, but there cold be many reasons for this. If she is growing and already over 50 grams, I think you are okay. The correct conditions will soon encourage a growth spurt.