substrate issues

marieelena

5 Year Member
hi everyone is this ok? what should I mix it with for my out door waterline tub. live in Hong Kong and get heavy rains at time.
it says it contains
This Jardino potting mix is a high quality and ready to use mixture for all vegetable plants. The optimized recipe with the best raw materials guarantees a good and healthy growth.
the soil mixture says
50% coconut fiber, 20% wood fiber, 10% clay, 10% bark humus, 10% compost

Also I tried a top black soil mix with coconut coir and zoomed orchid bark. within 5 days all the bark turned white. think its mould. Hong Kong is a humid city with heavy rain seasons.

I have North American wood turtle, ornate box turtle, yellow margin box turtle , Hermanns tortoise and a 1yr old Burmese Mountain tortoise. they all live in a individual waterland tub.,
thank you in advance.

Screenshot 2019-05-10 at 11.46.18 AM.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't use that. My choice for substrate is fir bark. I don't know why yours turned white. In my closed enclosures, I keep the bark quite moist and it's like 100% humidity in there, with quite a bit of condensation on the glass so you can't even see in. Can't get more humidity than that, and my bark doesn't turn white.

Reactions: Tom

marieelena

5 Year Member
I wouldn't use that. My choice for substrate is fir bark. I don't know why yours turned white. In my closed enclosures, I keep the bark quite moist and it's like 100% humidity in there, with quite a bit of condensation on the glass so you can't even see in. Can't get more humidity than that, and my bark doesn't turn white.

I don't know either. I just mixed zoo med orchid bark with coco coir and they turned white. maybe humidity in Hong Kong is crazy and it rains bad all the time we r surrounded by water.>.<.

I spoke to some Hong Kong keepers and thy are all recommending river sand.

I am really lost weather to mix top soil and sand or peat moss and coco coir

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I don't know either. I just mixed zoo med orchid bark with coco coir and they turned white. maybe humidity in Hong Kong is crazy and it rains bad all the time we r surrounded by water.>.<.

I spoke to some Hong Kong keepers and thy are all recommending river sand.

I am really lost weather to mix top soil and sand or peat moss and coco coir
You will get different opinions hereabouts sand but most Keepers don't like use it because of impaction problems and humidity problems