Substrate Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcpunk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Queen Creek, AZ
I have a question regarding tried and true methods of maintaining a particular humidity of your substrate.

I have a hatchling Sulcata. It is currently living on 3" of Sphagnum moss on a 36x24" wooden tort table. The basking spot is 95*, the warm side is about 85* and the coolest spot is 74*. I am using 75w incandescent for heat and light. I also have 2 UV CFLs (10.0,2.0), but use them sparingly until my MVB arives. I am trying to keep my hatchling's enclosure as humid as I can to prevent pyramiding.

Currently, i frequently check in on things and give a good misting with a spray bottle throughout the enclosure. Still, my substrate seems to be drying out beyond my control.

As for the tort, we go outside for a while every day, some times twice :). He also gets daily soaks and carapace misting, but I really wish I could keep his substrate more humid.

Also worth mentioning, I live just outside of Phoenix, AZ. Humidity is a but scarce here ;)

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I use an Eco soil, so I don't really have a problem with humidity, I put a jug of water in the enclosure,wait then mix and it's fine for a few days, then I repeat.

Outside is worse, I can't get rid of the flippin humidity, it's way to much.
I don't even water outside.:(

qcpunk

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, AZ
Right on! Thank you folks!

I think im going to try a combination of you suggestions. I especially like the idea of loosely covering the enclosure. I had thought about it, but felt I'd ask around a bit first. I think that'll really help.

If I leave a 4" by 15" area uncovered (where the MVB is), would you leave the cover in place 24/7? Or how long would you leave it on?

I'm going to get in the habit of turning his substrate more often. Lately, I have just been spot cleaning daily.

Humidity in Phoenix is all but a myth. ;)

Again, thank you for the great suggestions!

Cheer! :)

B

byerssusan

I have the same prob. I a, jsut out of the Phoenix area and Phoenix's enclosure seems to stay dry .I do the misting also..Think I will check out info on the heat ropes and see how they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.